Author Topic: Fishfinder mounting...  (Read 38346 times)

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
Fishfinder mounting...
« on: January 07, 2015, 06:05 PM »
So I am thinking about getting a Lowrance Elite 3x for a basic fishfinder.. Really like the newer DI technology in the better models too though.. Wondering if a though hull installation is better or worse than the lowrance scupper mount(its surely cheaper) or ram mount solution. Been a while since I used a fish finder, and I have never used one on a kayak.. so I am starting out with something basic.. Hoping to upgrade to one with integrated gps and downscan technology later in the year..Anyone own the elite 3x unit? Your opinions / Pros and cons of different mounting options and this particular unit would be very helpful info.

Elite 3x

images upload

Lowrance Scupper mount

pic upload

images upload

Transducer ram mount (wins the most "cool" points imo) ..maybe just a glorified line tangler?

how to take screenshots

Scupper mount installed

free picture hosting

Ram mount installed

imgupload

Through hull install

host image

images hosting

The cheapest and easiest of the options.. but I like to stuff my rods into the hull on occasion when I am landing and was thinking this type of install could get messed up with me jamming rods into the hull possibly hitting wires etc..
Well there you have it..

Right now I think through hull is the easiest..definitely cheapest
I do like the ram mount and scupper mount.. but is the scupper mount permanent once you install it.. meaning that if you remove it you have to buy another kit for 30 plus dollars? Unsure..  8)

:D ??? :-\

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
Re: Fishfinder mounting...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 06:32 PM »
Might have found an elite 4x hdi for the same price.. Anyone have one of those?

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
  • PRO Kayak Fishing - "We know kayak fishing!"
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 08:20 PM »
I don't have any experience with Lowrance but my opinion is, if you can afford a ff with gps then get it. Why buy one without now just to upgrade? Also, definitely do not get the RAM arm mount. A few years ago I built my own out of PVC and although it works great, it also is a major PITA too. It catches on everything, kelp, shallow rocks, etc...I also used the through hull with the putty. The putty works great and I was really happy with that setup. For me I think the scupper mount is the way to go, you get contact with the water and full readings. The through hull is a close second though.

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff 
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Radar 135 Pedal Drive
Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Shop local and help support the businesses that support you all year long.

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 09:42 PM »
This is the putty I used  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-Duct-Seal-Compound-Plug-DS-110/100212441, its called duct seal and it works really well. Easy to install, just make sure the surface is clean. Wipe it down with some rubbing alcohol and let dry, then form a round "puck" about 1" to 1 1/2" thick and wider than the transducer. Press firmly onto the kayak and then press the transducer into the putty. Finally form the putty up around the transducer to encapsulate it. Your 1st photo with the putty is a good example of how it should look. I never had the putty come loose and had very good readings through the hull. Even temp. readings were within a degree or two once the plastic of the kayak matched the water temp. For the money and simplicity you can't beat it. A very close second to a factory mount.

Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Offline SeaWeed

• Go Seahawks
  • Thresher Shark
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 11:34 PM »
For a through the hull you have to have some water around the Transducer. So leave some room for water, my first one didn't work unless I added water. the through the scupper mount looks like it would be hard on your scupper hole if you hit something with the transducer, and when landing.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
Perception Swing, Prowler 15, Hobie Outback. Is Three Enough?

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 12:52 AM »
For a through the hull you have to have some water around the Transducer. So leave some room for water, my first one didn't work unless I added water. the through the scupper mount looks like it would be hard on your scupper hole if you hit something with the transducer, and when landing.
This is the putty I used  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-Duct-Seal-Compound-Plug-DS-110/100212441, its called duct seal and it works really well. Easy to install, just make sure the surface is clean. Wipe it down with some rubbing alcohol and let dry, then form a round "puck" about 1" to 1 1/2" thick and wider than the transducer. Press firmly onto the kayak and then press the transducer into the putty. Finally form the putty up around the transducer to encapsulate it. Your 1st photo with the putty is a good example of how it should look. I never had the putty come loose and had very good readings through the hull. Even temp. readings were within a degree or two once the plastic of the kayak matched the water temp. For the money and simplicity you can't beat it. A very close second to a factory mount.

Duct seal seems like the way to go... Easy, cheap and easily removable..Appreciate it gentlemen  ;)
How do you all have your Fish Finders mounted? Was thinking amount either a rail mount or something near the drink holder in my 135... :-\

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 06:57 AM »
My only suggestion would be to have it as far forward as possible but still slightly within reach. I rarely change the settings on mine now that I have it setup how I like it. Having it up out of the way keeps it from being hit by flopping fish (I had a ling snap mine off and break the mount), out of the way of your paddle and rods. I like the idea of the rail mount so it is adjustable.

Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 12:35 PM »
Ive been looking at the ram mount. Maybe with the longer arm.. Looks like a pretty good option for around 30 dollars.  What FF do you currently use?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:30 PM by RG »

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 11:53 PM »
I have a lowrance elite 4 and use the ram mount which replaces the factory one.  Love the ram mount.  For the money it is a solid mmount.  I love it.

PRO Kayak Fishing

Wilderness Systems Pro Staff       Wildy Thresher 140
                                                            Wildy Radar 135
ProKayakFishing.com fishing team
ACA Member

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 10:32 AM »
I have a lowrance elite 4 and use the ram mount which replaces the factory one.  Love the ram mount.  For the money it is a solid mount.  I love it.
I passed on the elite-4x hdi after all.. I am going to look for one with a gps instead. The elite 4 looks like a good unit..Is yours just sonar or does it also use down scan imaging?  Also.. how is the battery life with the elite 4?  Some people say a cheap 12v5ah sealed lead acid battery is useable, but seems to me like it wouldn't be enough juice for more than a couple hours..

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 03:34 PM »
Mine is Sonar/Gps chartplotter color screen no DSI/HDI it is just the elite 4.  I have seen them down as low as 230.00 on ebay.  you can find the Mark 4 which is the non color version for 199.000 or less.  has a micro sd slot for mapping chart upgrades or saving data.  For me I didn't care about hdi when I bought it maybe if I upgrade down the line.  I like the lowrance, but plenty of other good units out there.  I don't know what you want to spend, but you should be able to find a gps/ff for around 200.  as to battery life I have a 6 year old sealed lead acid  12v7ah battery that powers it all day easily.  I can't say I have had it on for longer than 6 hours but have never had an issue with it draining battery in that time span. I  have had the Elite 4 for 16 months.

PRO Kayak Fishing

Wildy Radar 135
ACA Member

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 01:24 PM »
Ended up getting this one for $219 at Cabelas..

Offline Shogunofthecity

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 03:47 PM »

Very good choice RG.  You will be happy that you got the added GPS chartplotter, especially working the big blue.  I am a big Lowrance fan myself, as I have used many of the other top brands and to me the difference is night and day.  Currently run the Elite-7 HDI on a 7-1/2" x 1-1/2" RAM mount, and like Dogpound I couldn't be happier with RAM products.  I have even hung my fully rigged outback from it to prove a point to my buddy.  So those pesky lings will knock themselves out if they want to get crazy with it.  The longer arm is great as it makes the unit very versatile.  I rarely have to think about using a paddle so I like the unit right in my face because I am always on the controls, mostly for labeling waypoints.  And I have also had great success with the thru hull electrical putty. 

Here is a POV shot of my set up.  I also made a custom HDPE backing plate for the RAM mount base to bolt through.  This is a honey hole of fatty stripers all wanting to become tacos! Lol

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 04:57 PM »
Also got the longer RAM mount. Looks like it should work pretty well..

8)

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 06:37 PM »
Nice man, that is a great deal.  I like that longer ram arm.  Looking forward to seeing your install.

PRO Kayak Fishing

Wildy Radar 135
ACA Member