Author Topic: Warning to all new kayak Fishermen  (Read 14580 times)

Offline scooker213

• Camo hat and Camo Outback
  • Largemouth Bass
  • If you're having fun, you're living..
Warning to all new kayak Fishermen
« on: April 06, 2015, 06:24 AM »
Sunday out of Spooner's would have been my first fishing day of the season.  Myself, my father in law, Johnny I, and 3 buddies of mine, 2 of which wanted to try kayak fishing for the first time,  met up at Spooner's at 630am.  Now, I knew that all the people in my party had experience falling and climbing back in the their kayaks whether it was in a lake or bay prior to actually going out int he ocean.  There was one other young man that showed up and wanted to tag along this morning.  I will keep him anonymous, however, he did show up with a sit in kayak.  Now, I am usually pretty good about asking questions to new fishermen like how long have you kayaked, do you know how get back in your yak if you fall out, you all (experienced) yakers know the questions you would ask a new yaker about.  Well, I was to excited to ask this young man any of them.  Assuming he knew about kayaking, my party and him began our launch.  Papa, my father-in-law, Johnny I had the lead and were about 50 ft ahead and then I assisted my 2 buddies out and they followed Papa and Johnny I out.  The last few to launch were my other friend, which he was not new to this. Then assist the young man with the sit in get out and we were on our way.

Just about past the cove, one of my friends called me back "Hey, Glenn, the kid fell out of his yak!, should we turn around?"  So, we did, only to find his sit in yak was full of water and now he was in danger.  My buddy and I held his kayak afloat while he climbed aboard my yak and attempted to scoop our water from his yak.  It was not fun. After messing with trying to get him in his yak for what seemed 1/2 an hour or more.  I decided to paddle back in with the young man in my yak.  I had my buddy tow the other yak in.  I think this was some of the hardest paddling I had ever done.  Ditto goes for my buddy.  And the young man lost 2 really nice set ups totaling over 1000 dollars!

Well, I gotta say not only did I not get a chance to fish but I lost the other half of my party, luckily they were out together and my 2 other buddy's had Papa and Johnny I to assist with any mishaps.  They actually came back with fish.

I, on the other hand, did not even get a chance to drop a line.  I was too tired to go back out there after coming in with the of shore winds and waves and extra weight on my yak.

So the warning to all new Yakkers.

1.  Do not buy a cheap yak, especially a sit in or one that is not made for the ocean.  Do your research before you buy.
2.  Tie or leash all your stuff down.
3.  Practice all the maneuvers like falling out of your yak and getting back in somewhere calm like the bay or lake before going out to ocean.
4.  Read and try all the safety threads here, THEY COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!
5.  RESPECT THE WILDERNESS AND OCEAN because that day could be your last!
6.  Never go out alone.

Fortunately, this young man had some experienced yakkers there to help.  But, Man would I have loved to drop a line and fished this day.....

Scooker out.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 06:34 AM by scooker213 »

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
Re: Warning to all new kayak Fishermen
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 06:57 AM »
Wow what an experience.

Glad everyone made it back in.

Only thing I can say would be good idea to have a pump.

Tight lines,
RH
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline Hillbilly_Hotrod

• Largemouth Bass
  • tight lines and flat water
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 07:07 AM »
I over heard some of you talking about this in the parking lot but didn't catch a full story and not knowing anyone I wasn't going to jump in the conversation or ask any questions
Call/text me anytime to go hit the water 805-550-6228

OK Caper angler

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 03:11 PM »
There is a reason sit inside ocean kayaks use spray skirts.  He is fortunate you guys were there.  He might of made it back sans kayak or maybe not.  Glad everyone made it back. I think your assistance to a fellow mariner will be rewarded.  You make some good points at the end that all yakkers should know.  I have to agree with Ryan, that a pump is pretty much a must have out there no matter sit in or sot.  Probably could have made his situation easier.   Hopefully that guy will take some important lessons from the experience, and some of the other new yakkers can get something out of this story as well.  Thanks for sharing man!

PRO Kayak Fishing

Wilderness Systems Pro Staff       Wildy Thresher 140
                                                            Wildy Radar 135
ProKayakFishing.com fishing team
ACA Member

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
  • PRO Kayak Fishing - "We know kayak fishing!"
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 05:16 PM »
Nothing to really add that hasn't already been said, just glad you guys all made it in safe. Scooker213, nice job man for the rescue but, too bad you weren't able to fish. I would just add that if this guy is a member of the forum and reads this, chime in and give us your story, let us know what happened, what you learned, and what you will do different next time. We have all had mishaps on the water and others may be able to learn from your experiences. Thanks for sharing Glen.

Eric

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff 
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Radar 135 Pedal Drive
Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Shop local and help support the businesses that support you all year long.

Offline Shogunofthecity

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 06:01 PM »
Way to go Scooter!

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 08:00 PM »
Was talking to Cubby yesterday in San Simeon (the dude that runs the kayak rental by the pier) and he told me about a woman that went out alone in a sit inside yak and ended up 1.5 miles south sitting in a kayak full of water.. Luckily the woman's father was watching her the whole time and was able to tell Cubby so he could go out and and rescue her.. I guess she didn't even fall out, just leaned over a little too much and that was enough for the yak to fill up with water! I only mention this because Cubby was talking about how he rarely has any incidents with his rental business.. and the one significant incident he could recall involved a sit inside kayak.
RG

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
  • PRO Kayak Fishing - "We know kayak fishing!"
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 08:07 PM »
Like Dogpound mentioned, thats why they make sprayskirts! Whitewater guys get submerged all the time and you don't see them getting swamped, because they use sprayskirts. A SIK isn't necessarily bad for the ocean, touring and distance guys use them all the time but they use a sprayskirt. It really comes down to knowing your equipments limitations and using the safety gear available. If you take Mama Ocean too lightly she will fuck you!...and not in a good way.

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff 
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Radar 135 Pedal Drive
Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Shop local and help support the businesses that support you all year long.

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 10:49 PM »
If you take Mama Ocean too lightly she will fuck you!...and not in a good way.
:P

Offline BReel

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Oso Fishy
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 12:05 PM »
If you take Mama Ocean too lightly she will fuck you!...and not in a good way.

+1million
Keep it Reel!

Offline scooker213

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 02:30 PM »
The point is I didn't get a chance to fish!!! :P

Offline Hammerhead

• Seagull
  • Practice Catch and Release
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 05:55 PM »
I am glad we were there to help the kid out .  I was just glad we were able to preform a rescue rather then hearing about it on the news.

Offline Ryanimpreza

• Lingcod
  • Prostaff- prokayakfishing.com / Anetik.com
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 09:53 PM »
All I can say is glad you were there to help. So many people under estimate the ocean. Winds, currents, swells, surf, weather etcetcetc.... Then add in poor equipment any one of these can equal Davey jones locker. Glad he's ok.
2015 red hobie outback
Instagram.........above the hook productions
3rd place 2015 AOTY
2nd place 2016 AOTY

Offline scooker213

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 01:27 PM »
Sure sounds like today's, post.

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 01:49 PM »
Sure sounds like today's, post.

Waiting for the stories, didn't look too bad from the photos I saw at Leffingwell but who knows
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2