Author Topic: Gone camping...  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Imhooked

• Sanddab
Gone camping...
« on: June 26, 2016, 05:06 PM »
Headed to Mammoth Pools for a week camping with two of my nephews. Gonna go after trout and some panfish hopefully. I'll let you  guys know how the fishing went when I get back.

-Milton

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
Re: Gone camping...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 07:18 PM »
Awesome good luck. Looking forward to the report.

Just got back from a really quick trip to the Sierra's myself. Wish I had some reporting but slow for me but didn't really go up to fish this trip.
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline Imhooked

• Sanddab
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 01:16 PM »
Had an awesome time with the nephews (12 and 4). Apparently the bark beetles have really devastated alot of the forest up there and cause a bunch of trees to die and even start to fall.  Consequently the majority of camp grounds are closed up there for public safety. 😞 Fortunately for me through, the camp ground I reserved remained open.

So we got there Monday, set up camp and then did a little fishing. Caught 3 nice rainbow trout. The first fish somehow broke the line but I managed to jump in and grab the broken line and reel it in by hand so the 4 year old was happy still. After the 1st day, we didn't catch any more fish. There used to be close to a hundred fish at this spot but now, there were only a dozen or so visible. I found out from another camper that apparently the Friant hatchery was closed so apparently they have not been stocking very frequently lately... we did end up catching a handful of crawdads which the boys ate and ended up liking. Fortunately we didn't go up there just to fish and had alot of fun hiking and swimming and just enjoying nature. I didn't get any pics of the fish but here are a few other pictures I took.
-Milton

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 03:15 PM »
Awesome report, crawdads and all.

Those Bark Beetles are making the mountains really dangerous. Add fire to the equation and you have a disaster on your hands. Look at that photo just amazing nothing is green and its only JUNE on trees that size.

RH
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2