Author Topic: Rules & regs, etc  (Read 4912 times)

Offline yakerman48

• Seagull
  • My Eagle Lake catch!
Rules & regs, etc
« on: September 26, 2016, 06:57 PM »
Pretty much new to kayak fishing and somewhat leery of all the rules and regulations involved in yak fishing and do's and don't's to be safe. Must have 18" net, signaling device, life vest on, measuring device, etc but what might I be missing that should be obvious. How do you store caught fish? Do I really need any anchor? Do you tie up to seaweed or just drift? I have an Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT with molded in pole holders, 12'.
I guess I'm "fishing" for knowledge and expertise to be safe and productive without making multiple learning experiences.
Thank you!!!!!!

My life is only a test. If this was my real life I would have been given better instructions!

Offline Ryanimpreza

• Lingcod
  • Prostaff- prokayakfishing.com / Anetik.com
Re: Rules & regs, etc
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 07:19 AM »
I would add a VHF floating marine radio and a better seat on that xt also. I had an xt back in the day and changing the seat helped comfort a lot. More padding. I don't think you will ever need an anchor, they are heavy and take up room.....just leave it. Guys mostly drift.
2015 red hobie outback
Instagram.........above the hook productions
3rd place 2015 AOTY
2nd place 2016 AOTY

Offline yakerman48

• Seagull
  • My Eagle Lake catch!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 09:10 PM »
What works the best for most folks, to handle fish with gloves or a lip gripper?
I have all these questions but I guess I should just get out and do it!
My life is only a test. If this was my real life I would have been given better instructions!

Offline Ryanimpreza

• Lingcod
  • Prostaff- prokayakfishing.com / Anetik.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 11:16 PM »
What works the best for most folks, to handle fish with gloves or a lip gripper?
I have all these questions but I guess I should just get out and do it!
i use lucid grips, best on the market in my, and most others opinions. I would say I land my fish 98% of the time with those, unless there rats.
2015 red hobie outback
Instagram.........above the hook productions
3rd place 2015 AOTY
2nd place 2016 AOTY

Offline Big_Mac

• Striper
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 09:07 PM »
I use a fish stringer clip to keep my game. Once in awhile I either dunk them in water, or I splash some water where I keep them in the back of the kayak. Some people use insulated fish bags or coolers. I guess I have never needed a cooler on the water due to the cooler temps on our awesome coast (although I could have used one yesterday... 82 at Leffingwell). I just take a cooler with me and keep it in the truck. I buy ice and fill the cooler before I get out on the water. That way I'll have someplace to keep my catch cool while I drive through the hot north county weather.

As far as nets go. I'd go with a collapsible one. As you know, everyone needs an 18" net on their kayak. I'm not sure if I've ever actually seen someone use one though. Having a collapsible will keep your wind profile down while its stored.

Don't use an anchor. It would just get hung up on something. Drifting is better anyways. If you want to stay in one place for awhile you could always clip on to some kelp. There are kelp clips out there that can be opened with one hand. Don't make the same mistake I did. I bought a kelp clip that could slip and hurt my hand due to it's spring strength. It really doesn't need to be that strong. Even a huge carabineer with some 5/50 cord would do the trick. Just make sure you have enough slack to take a big wave otherwise it could mean trouble as the kelp you are tied off to pulls your yak under.

Other stuff:
Get yourself a decent depth/fish finder.  The ocean is basically a big underwater, sandy desert. It helps to know where the structure is. Don't rely solely on kelp beds to produce quality fish.

Sun protection....big hats....long sleeve shirts...pants (No shorts. You will end up with a really weird tan/burn if you do)...100+ spf sunscreen. Skin cancer is real.

Educate yourself on what to do in a rollover.

Pack a small first aid kit. The other day I ended up putting a very large treble hook from one of my 6oz lead jigs into the palm of my hand. It required minor surgery to get it out. Thankfully this happened while I was at home. It made me realize that my kayak wasn't equipped for this type of thing on the water. It would have been impossible for me to paddle with that type of injury if I were 3 miles out. I would not have been able to grip the paddle. I didn't have anything on my kayak to clip the barb off the hook after pushing it through the other side.

Hope this helps. See you on the water.
I love fishing.  You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end.  Your imagination is under there.  ~Robert Altman

Offline lopezcador

• Leopard Shark
    • Lopezcador
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 09:18 PM »
Big Mac- got big boo-boo.
Estero bay 2015- 10th place 2- fish cat.   Estero bay - 2016 1st place - cabby cat.

Offline yakerman48

• Seagull
  • My Eagle Lake catch!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 11:37 PM »
This is great!!!     Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experiences!
I am really fired up and anxious to get on the water! Drove to Leffingwell today, never been there, just to go out paddling but the fog was too much. Same at MB. Watching the weather tomorrow.

Offline RipTide aka Cor-Dawg

• Yellow Eye
  • Get Some Action!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 12:49 AM »
Nice write up. But I gotta ask how did you manage that one lol. I've had them poke me deep but never yet barb deep thank god.  That's a fatty hook to I don't think dykes would cut that. Looks like bold cutter to me?
«˘obra ° ˘ommanders» ™
8th place in CCSD-IV
*RipTide* 2006 21'20 Parker

Offline Big_Mac

• Striper
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 01:36 AM »
LOL... I actually used an end cutting nipper. I have no idea how or why I let go of the jig. All I know is I was cinching down a knot one minute....the next I felt a tiny sting. I stood there for a good minute wondering how the hell I was going to get it out. I have had the pleasure of taking tiny hooks out, but never something with that kind of gauge. I'm just thankful that it was a new hook. I tried to pull it out in reverse with a pair of pliers. Yeah.... that was a no-go. Then I decided to commit by putting the hook through the other side. It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. I was surprised to find out how tough the skin on that part of the hand is when you are trying to pass a barb through it. I almost had to slice it a little with a razor blade. Thankfully it didn't come to that. Once I got over the shock of a foreign object being stuck in my body it wasn't so bad. the wound also healed pretty quickly. I was out on the kayak the next day. If I wasn't so worried about losing a trophy fish I'd make all of my hooks barbless.
I love fishing.  You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end.  Your imagination is under there.  ~Robert Altman