Author Topic: Any thoughts about Moss Landing?  (Read 6397 times)

Offline Big_Mac

• Striper
  • CCKF Lifestyle
Any thoughts about Moss Landing?
« on: February 02, 2017, 07:14 PM »
I'm going over places to camp and fish this Summer. While looking over some online topo maps, I noticed the Monterey canyon ( :o) right after you exit the Moss Landing harbor. Have any of you guys fished there? How about the RV park....have any of you stayed there? It looks okay on the website. It looks to be right in the middle of a marina.
Would you say it's the same style (target species) of fishing up there? Advice?

-Thanks!

I love fishing.  You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end.  Your imagination is under there.  ~Robert Altman

Offline Fish n fire

• Gopher
  • Rip sum lip
Re: Any thoughts about Moss Landing?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 07:25 PM »
I know a few guys that fish around that area. Mostly they fish stripers from the beach with good success. They tend to focus on the pajaro river area north of Moss Landing. I have seen kayak fishing at the mouth of the harbor but don't have a very good idea of how they do or the species they're targeting. If I had a guess I'd say halibut.

Offline Big_Mac

• Striper
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 08:34 PM »
Thanks for the move....I forgot about this forum category. ;)
I love fishing.  You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end.  Your imagination is under there.  ~Robert Altman

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 09:31 PM »
Thanks for the move....I forgot about this forum category. ;)

No problem, Cant help on the whole Moss Landing topic
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline SeaWeed

• Go Seahawks
  • Thresher Shark
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 08:14 PM »
When Salmon Open up a lot of guys camp in the north parking lot./ I don't know if that is a year around place.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
Perception Swing, Prowler 15, Hobie Outback. Is Three Enough?

Offline Sin Coast

• Lingcod
  • 64lbs of butt!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 10:55 PM »
Moss Landing RV park is ok. And it's really close to the launch. But the fishing out there is seasonal...if the salmon are in then it can be great! And it's like 800ft deep within 3 miles of the harbor. But the rockfishing sucks, the canyon walls are shale and mostly barren. You can paddle north to the Pajaro pipeline for rockies but you can catch rockies in so many other, easier places (like santa cruz, monterey, carmel). Halibut and wsb are an option in Moss, I guess. But I'd recommend driving to a better spot to launch/fish--its about 20 minutes south to Monterey or north to Santa Cruz.
Other campgrounds I'd suggest over Moss include: New Brighton, Seacliff, Sunset, Watsonville KOA, Marina RV park, or Veterans Memorial park in Monterey. These campgrounds fill up quick. I'd recommend making reservations soon.

Offline Big_Mac

• Striper
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 05:21 AM »
Thanks Sin Coast! That's great advice!