Author Topic: The best fish jerky ever  (Read 2283 times)

Offline SteveR213

• Bluegill
The best fish jerky ever
« on: February 28, 2017, 02:13 PM »
As put by a few family members, "This shit needs to go into production immediately." It's one of the best marinade recipes I've found, and works fantastically well with Yellowfin Tuna. 

2lbs fish
1/2 cup of soy sauce
1/4 cup pineapple juice (I always try and use fresh squeezed), orange juice would work too
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper (more if you want a bit more heat)
1 crushed garlic clove
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Cut the fish into jerky sized pieces of your liking. I make them around 3/8" thick, and about 6"x 2".   Making them uniform sizes will help with them being done equally at the same time.  Combine all ingredients in a gallon size Zip Loc freezer bag, and toss to coat the fish.  Leave in the fridge overnight.
The next day, remove all the fish and spread out over some paper towels. Be sure to pat dry all the pieces, you want them as dry as possible.  They've had plenty of time to soak up all that awesomeness. If you have a dehydrator use it, and dry to your liking, although if you have a smoker, use it instead, the smoke adds just that much more flavor. I have a Traeger smoker, and use it for this step.  Fire it up, and leave it on the smoke setting.  Add the fish and smoke for 1.5-2hrs depending on your taste.  I tend to leave a little moisture in it.  It falls right in the middle of being smoked and turning into jerky. 

2015 Prowler BG2