Author Topic: Fishfinder GPS  (Read 2699 times)

Offline sloman1623

• Gopher
Fishfinder GPS
« on: June 30, 2014, 08:25 AM »
  Hi everyone!  I have an OldTown Predator 13...Need to get a FF/GPS..Does anyone have suggestions for a useful/practical unit for my Boat?
There are so many models that it gets confusing...any help would be appreciated..thanks...SLOMAN

Predator 13
Lowrance Mark 4 DSI

I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself

Offline RipTide aka Cor-Dawg

• Yellow Eye
  • Get Some Action!
Re: Fishfinder GPS
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 11:40 AM »
I'm in the same position as you. I don't want to buy a crap unit so I've held off. And I don't want to overpay either
«˘obra ° ˘ommanders» ™
8th place in CCSD-IV
*RipTide* 2006 21'20 Parker

Offline MikeinFresno

• Sheephead
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 01:38 PM »
for a nice under $200 unit I use the Lowrance Mark 4. Its B&W, built in GPS, and has AMAZING screen clarity. You can easily see your lures go down and while jigging.

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 05:40 PM »
I have a lowrance elite 4,  same as the mark 4 just color.  I really like it, but there are a lot of good units out there, humminbirds are really nice as well.  Once you decide a budget,  then maybe you can narrow down a bit more

PRO Kayak Fishing

Wilderness Systems Pro Staff     
AT Paddles Pro Staff
ProKayakFishing.com Pro Staff
ACA Member

Offline SeaWeed

• Go Seahawks
  • Thresher Shark
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Be careful when buying the elite 4 SDI and HDI. The SDI doesn't  work well in salt water over 60 ft. This was verified on the NCKA site and there is a guy who does classes for lowrance he verified what was said about the SDI. 
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
Perception Swing, Prowler 15, Hobie Outback. Is Three Enough?

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 06:59 PM »
Good point, there was thread about this not long ago, would suggest reading it, had a lot of good info on finders, think it was in the product review section.

PRO Kayak Fishing

AT Paddles Pro Staff
ACA Member

Offline sloman1623

• Gopher
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 07:21 AM »
Thanks for the feedback....my budget is , well, around 200.oo as it could get jacked up in the surf....havent rolled yet, but I'm sure it will happen
one day!
Predator 13
Lowrance Mark 4 DSI

I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself

Online RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • Tight Lines
    • CCKF
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 07:48 AM »
Thanks for the feedback....my budget is , well, around 200.oo as it could get jacked up in the surf....havent rolled yet, but I'm sure it will happen
one day!

If I have any I mean any feeling of rolling in the surf I pull my FF head going out and coming in.
FINS Quality Braided Lines Pro-Staff
Shark Shield Pro-Staff
Pro-Cure Pro-Staff
Pacific Lures Pro Staff
Big Hammer VIP
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline Suckafish

• Cabazon
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 11:47 AM »
Yeah I've tried to educate myself as well and I just keep getting more confused.  Frustrating. ..
The grass isn't greener on the other side...It's greener where you water it.

Jackson Big Tuna-Earth
Eddyline Caribbean 12

Offline SeaWeed

• Go Seahawks
  • Thresher Shark
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 09:50 PM »
If you want some straight Information. Ask FishingForTheCure on the NCKA site. He does classes for Lowrance and is a straight shooter. I think he would be a good resource. He gets no commission, and used to Manage a west Martine store I think.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
Perception Swing, Prowler 15, Hobie Outback. Is Three Enough?

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 10:00 PM »
I think in the end there are a lot of good units out there, And you have to think Bout what features are really important to you and at what Price.  There is  lot of new technology out there, but personally I have been happy with a color ff/chart plotter without hdi, or dsi etc.  MYbe I don't know what I am missing, but .....I'm good with it.

PRO Kayak Fishing

AT Paddles Pro Staff
ACA Member

Offline Madcat

• Lingcod
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 08:41 AM »
Check out the Hodges Marine site. Their prices are by far the lowest I found while looking to buy my FF/GPS. I seriously don't know how they are so damned low.

Pro Kayak Fishing Ambassador
Santa Cruz Raptor SoT - sold
Hobie Outback - sold
Native Watercraft Slayer 13 - blown drive
Viking Profisha reload

Offline caliyak

• Bluegill
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 10:26 PM »
SLOman, I might be new to the ff game and I'm not experienced with all the makes and models, but I love my Garmin. I know Garmin is not a well known ff company like hummin or low, so check out the EchoMap models.
LC
WS Tarpon 100

Offline Elkhornsun

• Anchovy
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 05:48 PM »
Check out the transducer mounting options. I would expect that the Humminbird with the plastic thru-hull transducer that is designed for the Ocean Kayak angler kayaks' fishing scuppers may also work with your kayak. These are more expensive as the transducer costs $75 with the Humminbird exchange program or $130 otherwise.

Offline SteveR213

• Bluegill
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 09:59 AM »
Came across this and had a couple questions for you guys.  I have a BG2 and got the Humminbird Helix5 Sonar/GPS and the thru hull transducer for it.  Been looking at a few videos online as far the fishfinder goes and what it can do, but there isn't much for the GPS side. The offshore GPS stuff is all new to me.  Are you guys finding it pretty easy to navigate/chartplot with them? Let's say you head out, drift way off course, and want to call it a day.  I get setting a waypoint for the launch and all, but between the two there's a pretty big gap. 
2015 Prowler BG2