Author Topic: Fishfinder GPS  (Read 2698 times)

Offline mxnocean

• Catfish
  • saltwater junkie
Re: Fishfinder GPS
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 09:33 PM »
I got a used elite 5. Not the dsi or newer fancy one. Just the the regular elite 5. I bought it used on ebay and it came with the mark 5x and the transducer. It works great. Color, 5 inch screen, and GPS. It was 210 bucks delivered. And love it. Just a thought. Especially for bugdet buys. All you really need. GPS. Depth and stucture  ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:09 PM by mxnocean »
Doing what you like is freedom, liking what you do is happiness

Offline RipTide aka Cor-Dawg

• Yellow Eye
  • Get Some Action!
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 10:42 PM »
Came across this and had a couple questions for you guys.  I have a BG2 and got the Humminbird Helix5 Sonar/GPS and the thru hull transducer for it.  Been looking at a few videos online as far the fishfinder goes and what it can do, but there isn't much for the GPS side. The offshore GPS stuff is all new to me.  Are you guys finding it pretty easy to navigate/chartplot with them? Let's say you head out, drift way off course, and want to call it a day.  I get setting a waypoint for the launch and all, but between the two there's a pretty big gap.
I have a Lowrance elite 4 and it tracks the paths that you travel.
«˘obra ° ˘ommanders» ™
8th place in CCSD-IV
*RipTide* 2006 21'20 Parker

Offline H2joe

• Surf Perch
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 01:17 PM »
I have elite 4 and it would be impossible to get lost out there with this ff. It tracks where you've been and you can simply follow your tracks back to shore.

Offline Big_Mac

• Catfish
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 01:23 AM »
I recommend the Lowrance 000-11827-001 Mark-4 Chirp Fishfinder/Chartplotter 50/200 455/800 Transom Mount Transducer. It is a great unit. This was also the first one since the last one I ever used back in the 80s. It used paper instead of a screen  :o. It hasn't even let me down. It is VERY sensitive. I can see my fishing line along with my jig bouncing off of the bottom. I bought the mark over the Elite because of battery usage. the color seems to eat up battery juice a little quicker. in hind sight I wish I would have bought the Elite and just bought a bigger battery with more amp hours. From what i have seen....the color screens seem to be a little better at differentiating the types of bottom I'd be fishing in. You can also see thermoclines a little better. the bigger transducer may pose an issue with your scupper/transducer area. It may be too big. I had to kind of Jerry-rig mine to make it fit. if you ever need help...let me know. I can send you pics for ideas if you end up getting the unit. Good luck in your search. i know all of the info out there can be a bit daunting.
I love fishing.  You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end.  Your imagination is under there.  ~Robert Altman

Offline GoBruins

• Cabazon
  • Outdoors > Indoors
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 06:18 AM »
Would a 7" fishfinder be completely ridiculous on a kayak?
CamoAndAmmo .at. Outlook.com

Offline Zodiacker

• Another Capricorn
  • Steelhead
  • I Zod Out
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 01:45 PM »
for a nice under $200 unit I use the Lowrance Mark 4. Its B&W, built in GPS, and has AMAZING screen clarity. You can easily see your lures go down and while jigging.

I have the same.

I Zod Out
Becoming a better waterman and kayaker should be more of a target to focus on than catching fish. The fish will always be around, but will you?

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 09:37 PM »
@go bruins I don't think it would be.  There are lot of guys using them.  I tend to see them more with the guys that are mainly/only bass fishing, there are other guys using them too.  I think FlyYaker has a Raymarine Dragonfly 7.  maybe he will chime in.  I do know they will take more battery power  to run especially if you are using sidescan, down scan, etc.   

PRO Kayak Fishing

Wilderness Systems Pro Staff     
AT Paddles Pro Staff
ProKayakFishing.com Pro Staff
ACA Member

Offline GoBruins

• Cabazon
  • Outdoors > Indoors
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 09:36 AM »
Thanks. I like the idea of having the nav/sonar split screen, and anything smaller than a 7" screen is annoying.

Offline Life_is_Yak

• Lizardfish
  • living the dream called life
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 10:19 AM »
Thanks for the feedback....my budget is , well, around 200.oo as it could get jacked up in the surf....havent rolled yet, but I'm sure it will happen
one day!
I have a Hummingbird 798 si.  It does side imaging and down imaging any so far I've rolled my yak twice in the surf.  I keep it in a box so my stuff doesn't go everywhere, but the box fills with water quickly.  The first time I rolled I found it floating inside my box about 30 minutes later (didn't realize the box would take that much water so fast).  Second time the box only got a little water.  So far no issues.  Just need to clean and grease the contacts.

I like side imaging because it tells me which side of the boat the bait balls are on and can help you find holes or big structure to the left or right.  It does take some getting use to and I don't think it will ever be super clear in the ocean because of action but I wouldn't want a unit without it after having it.  On still water you can pick out fish.  There are lots of great units in the $500 range and I would bet you could find an older unit like my for cheaper.

As far as battery life goes I can get 3 or 4 day out of a charge.  I'm using a battery that weighs about 5 lbs.  about the same as you would find in a sport bike.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 03:23 PM by Life_is_Yak »
Jackson Kraken 15.5
Hobie Outback

Offline Life_is_Yak

• Lizardfish
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 10:26 AM »
Would a 7" fishfinder be completely ridiculous on a kayak?
I would love a 7" personally.  One you can keep it further away and still see the small details easily and 2 you can watch more stuff at once and still see the detail.
Jackson Kraken 15.5
Hobie Outback

Offline GoBruins

• Cabazon
  • Outdoors > Indoors
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 10:40 AM »
Nice. Does it involve installing multiple transducers?

Offline Life_is_Yak

• Lizardfish
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 03:27 PM »
Nice. Does it involve installing multiple transducers?
mine has a single compact transducer.  its roughly 2.5"x3.5"x1"  it also has they mounting bracket that sticks up about 1.25".

right now mine is mounted on an arm that swings out to the side of the boat.
Jackson Kraken 15.5
Hobie Outback

Offline GoBruins

• Cabazon
  • Outdoors > Indoors
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2017, 10:16 AM »
Criminy - them Side View models at 7" are big $$$. They are literally 1/2 the price of the kayak itself, lol.

Offline billydog

• pline+
  • Salmon
  • lets go fishing
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2017, 07:17 AM »
just got the lorance hook 7
when im on the water im free.me and my FERNZY

Offline GoBruins

• Cabazon
  • Outdoors > Indoors
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2017, 10:57 AM »
Billydog - what are your thoughts so far on the Hook 7?