Author Topic: Smokers  (Read 101 times)

Offline hook

• Sanddab
Smokers
« on: August 08, 2017, 06:48 AM »
Looking to buy a smoker for my fish. I could use some advice on the difference between electric,and regular. Pros and cons for each would be helpful.
Thanks, Dennis

Offline Life_is_Yak

• Seagull
  • living the dream called life
Re: Smokers
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 10:46 PM »
electric are pretty much automatic.  they control the heat and the smoke output.  you basically set it and come back when its done.  My uncle has one and he can set it to smoke during the day while he is working and come home to a smoked meal. The old school type you have to control everything, the air the chips, etc.  so it just takes a little more practice and you will have to spend time watching your meal.
Jackson Kraken 15.5
Hobie Outback

Offline PJ

• Striper
  • Practice Catch and Release
Re: Smokers
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:29 PM »
I have an old school one.  I paid something like $50 for it.  I respectfully disagree with the old school ones being difficult.  I do the same thing everytime.  Throw in the coal, flame it up, throw in the wood chips & fish after 30.  Let it go for an hour & half to 3 hours.  Usually the coals burn down enough that smoking it a lot longer doesn't dry it out, at least for me.  I love the smell & taste from it too.  Charcoal & applewood, brined in applejuice & I get rave reviews everytime :)
Personal Best 8'+ Thresher on 20lb Mono:)