Author Topic: Wear your PFD  (Read 755 times)

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
Wear your PFD
« on: May 21, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Another sad example of not wearing a PFD...
When i see photos of guys not wearing PFDs it is frustrating because it is simple to avoid these sad situations.

http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/drowning-on-lake-conroe-12/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
  • PRO Kayak Fishing - "We know kayak fishing!"
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
Re: Wear your PFD
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 07:08 PM »
I got in a little back and forth with a guy on the San Diego page awhile back. His reasoning was that he was a trained rescue swimmer in the military and that he was young and fit. My response was that Im a trained emergency vehicle response driver, I still wear my seat belt because sometimes shit happens. PFD are too comfortable nowadays not to wear them. Its not worth dying over because you think its not gonna happen to you.

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff 
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Radar 135 Pedal Drive
Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Shop local and help support the businesses that support you all year long.

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 09:09 PM »
Completely agree, saw the full effects of no seatbelts twice this week.

Wear your safety gear and make your kids wear it. Saw a buddies post this weekend and he had his kid out without a PFD man did that tick me off.
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 10:11 PM »
I can't get behind the logic of not wearing one.  Yeah it's your choice not to wear one in most places.  And nothing ever happens out on the water until it does. The ocean, cold water, currents, high winds, swell, mother nature doesn't give a sh#t how much of a badass you are or how fit you you are......

PRO Kayak Fishing

Wilderness Systems Pro Staff       Wildy Thresher 140
AT Paddles Pro Staff.                      Wildy Radar 135
ProKayakFishing.com Pro Staff
ACA Member

Offline lopezcador

• Yellow Eye
    • Lopezcador
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 09:39 PM »
Big time-  no brainer. One never knows Mother Nature in in charge OTW.
Estero bay 2015- 10th place 2- fish cat.   Estero bay - 2016 1st place - cabby cat.

Offline bottom feeder

• Steelhead
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 12:51 PM »
Agree, when you need your PFD , it's because of an accident happened,  then it's to late. Try getting your life jacket out of your hatch after you've been hit by a boat or bounced off some rocks. Always wear it.

Offline FishNinJayy

• Seagull
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 08:23 PM »
I can't get behind the logic of not wearing one.  Yeah it's your choice not to wear one in most places.  And nothing ever happens out on the water until it does. The ocean, cold water, currents, high winds, swell, mother nature doesn't give a sh#t how much of a badass you are or how fit you you are......

Years ago, was fishing with a buddy in his tandem. Bay fishing, very calm. Out of nowhere, one of those long thin-as-a-rail tandem racing kayaks came up on us. 2 rowers, with their backs to us, of course, literally, the kayak came UP on us. T-boned us, and luckily it ramped over our tandem, right between me and my friend. A foot forward or back, and one of us would've been hit, prob knocked the F--- out. And they were going fast.. Not wearing a PFD just doesn't make any sense. I actually rethought PFDs after that episode, thinking maybe these inflatable cartridge PFDs might not be the best, if I get struck and knocked unconscious in the water. So now, I carry both, and make a decision on the water.  :o