Author Topic: Fishfinder GPS  (Read 2719 times)

Offline GoBruins

• Cabazon
  • Outdoors > Indoors
Re: Fishfinder GPS
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2017, 10:07 AM »
Took Life Is Yak's advice and got one with the sideview.

I went with the Garmin Striker 7SV. The one feature I really wish it had is a MicroSD slot for transferring data back and forth between other units and my PC. Oh well, it was about the cheapest sideview model with a 7" screen.

I think if money wasn't a factor, I would have gone with the Humminbird equivalent.
CamoAndAmmo .at. Outlook.com

Offline Life_is_Yak

• Lizardfish
  • living the dream called life
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2017, 08:45 AM »
Took Life Is Yak's advice and got one with the sideview.

I went with the Garmin Striker 7SV. The one feature I really wish it had is a MicroSD slot for transferring data back and forth between other units and my PC. Oh well, it was about the cheapest sideview model with a 7" screen.

I think if money wasn't a factor, I would have gone with the Humminbird equivalent.
Wow.. I just googled the Garmin Striker 7SV unit and it looks really nice.  I've heard garmin comes with some really good maps.  Post back on how you like it.  it makes me tempted.  I really like the 7" screens and I didn't know you could get a unit that size for $400.  Plus it has chirp which should really help pick out fish under schools of bait.  As long as their under the boat.

Report back once you've used it a few times
Jackson Kraken 15.5
Hobie Outback

Offline Zwaterman

• Mackeral
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2017, 05:51 AM »
I purchased a Dragonfly 7 pro from Prokayakfishing, just before Slam Down. I had a humminbird Helix 5 before this. Let me tell you what, this Dragonfly unit is lightyears better than the Helix. I love the huge screen. The charts are way better. And the function lets are far more user friendly.

Offline GoBruins

• Cabazon
  • Outdoors > Indoors
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2017, 05:41 PM »
Alrighty then - I've used the Garmin a few times. Here's what I learned. I've used Lowrance units in the past, so I can compare the qualities between the two.

1. The build quality goes to Lowrance. Everything just seems more robust: cables, the plastic housing. It's a notch better than the Garmin stuff.
2. User interface. Garmin is much more intuitive. Having a dedicated "back" button makes things *so* much easier. Navigating the menu system is light years better than the Lowrance (imo).
3. The GPS feature seems to be better on the Garmin. More sensitive and responsive. Makes a huge difference when you drift off a spot and want to quickly get back to it. Because the GPS is so sensitive, you can quickly get back on track, whereas with the Lowrance, you have to pedal/paddle some feet before it figures out which direction you're going. You spend more time going around in circles.
4. The sonar features appear to be about equal. I think the CHIRP is a nice feature to have.
5. Having the 7" screen is so very nice. It means I can have the map and sonar screens side by side (the two functions I use the most), and they're both readable. Invaluable.
6. I can't really comment on the Sideview yet. I do a lot of fishing in 150'++ waters, and the Down Imaging and Side Images simply don't come into play. It did appear to be working ok the one time i took it to a pond. The burning question is: is Sideview impacted by the fact that I have the transducer in-hull? I use Duct Seal to keep the transducer in place.
7. Again, the one feature I really wish the Garmins had was the microSD slot. But I suppose you can't have everything.

All in all, I'd purchase again. It's capable, easy to use, and easy on the wallet. As a matter of fact, I bought the little Striker 4" unit for my other kayak, and it works great, but for the small screen. Although splitting the screen really isn't feasible, you can put a compass banner strip on top of the sonar screen. It means you can focus on the sonar, and still know what direction you should be traveling. *Really* nice feature.

Offline lopezcador

• Yellow Eye
    • Lopezcador
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2017, 06:54 PM »
Great info/ repot
Estero bay 2015- 10th place 2- fish cat.   Estero bay - 2016 1st place - cabby cat.

Offline GoBruins

• Cabazon
  • Outdoors > Indoors
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2017, 10:48 AM »
I'm not surprised that Garmin leads the way in terms of GPS features and user interface. They obviously make tons of navigation related stuff. When i go backpacking/mountaineering, I put my faith in their handheld GPS units - not the fancy touch-screen units but rather the traditional-screen handhelds. They are rock solid. Batteries last a long time, and they can reliably grab a signal under canopies and canyons.

I'm still learning the fish finder things, but I have to say that by far the most frustrating thing for me is when i mark a spot and then subsequently try to get back to it. The Garmin units, by virtue of the GPS sensitivity and the user interface, makes it as painless as possible. Like I mentioned, if you can use a 4" screen to both do sonar *and* navigate (via the compass banner) at the same time, it's a winner.

Offline GoBruins

• Cabazon
  • Outdoors > Indoors
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2017, 10:54 AM »