Author Topic: 1st Annual Estero Kayak Challenge - results are on page 12  (Read 37977 times)

Offline Sin Coast

• Canary
  • 64lbs of butt!
Re: 1st Annual Estero Kayak Challenge
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 05:00 PM »
Top 3 lingcod, cabezon, and rockfish win cash...and Top 3 combined weights win cash? So if 50 guys signup then the four 1st place finishers get $250 each...if there's 80 guys then $400 each! I like how division 4 is combined weight of 2 fish and includes non-rockfish/lingcod/cabezon species in case somebody scores a flatty etc. Otherwise the 1st place lingcod would probably win division 4 too. Sounds like fun!

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
  • PRO Kayak Fishing - "We know kayak fishing!"
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 05:02 PM »
Well, lets see, where should I begin...

First, I hope that you choose to attend the tournament since part of the reason for putting it on is to offer a second  event for the local guys to fish in without having to travel out of the area. As for picking Cayucos and Windmills, everyone has "their" spot and no matter where we decide to host an event it will be someones "spot", "honey hole", or "backyard". The fact is that we are very limited where we can hold events here on the Central Coast. It may not seem like it but its true. Most locations are owned by State Parks and not only do you have to pay a permit fee to the State, but they also take a percentage of however much you raise. That's right, "raise", as in donations. Neither myself nor Ryan are putting on these events for financial gain, it is to raise money for HOW and State Parks takes their cut from those funds. But, that's not even the biggest issue. The main problem is that State Parks restricts how many people you can have at their locations. Leffingwell is 100 people max., Spooner's is only 50! So, that leaves few other options and Cayucos is one of them. We still have to pay permit fees to the County for Cayucos but they do not take a "cut" of what we can donate and they do not restrict us on attendance.

Second, is that the sportfishing boats take far more fish from the entire coast than "we" as kayak anglers do, even on a day where a particular spot may get hit harder than normal from an event. I'm not trying to bash Virg's or Patriot or any of that industry its just the facts, check out their fish counts on a daily bases. Also, Leffingwell gets a ton more pressure from anglers throughout the season than Windmills does and even with the Slam Down it continues to produce a steady catch. I agree that overfishing can be a problem and that we as anglers owe it to our fishery, our sport, and ourselves to be responsible in that respect.

Finally, on CPR I have mixed feelings. I agree with catch and release and in fact I usually through back most of my catch on a normal day of fishing and rarely, if ever, bring in a full stringer. But, with a tournament I have a couple of thoughts.
For the last 2 years Ryan has offered CPR at the Slam Down with an ID image to put in the photo so that people can practice CPR. How many have taken advantage of that? An extremely low percentage of competitors actually do it even when provided for. I think this happens for a couple of reasons, its fun to bring in your catch and show it off at the weigh-in and its kind of a pain in the ass to take a picture of a big lingcod on a bump board with an ID tag. I've lost a few fish over the years trying to make this happen. On a day of fishing its not a huge deal but if that was a winning ling worth a few hundred dollars or more, it stings. All that said, I'm open to suggestions for CPR or some other variation of catch and release. Ryan and I and others have discussed requiring the tournaments to be CPR only but have chosen not to go that far, yet, since it is an open fishery. Maybe that is a discussion we as a group should have? Ryan, maybe a thread on this topic?

I'm not saying that I am going to change the process that I have set up for this event, but I am not opposed to looking at other options either. The tournament is still a long way off...

H2joe, I hope that you change your mind about leaving the group, I certainly dont want to see people get bent out of shape over a tournament. I admit that your comments got my hackles up initially but it is not our intention to overfish "your" spot or any other spot. I'm sorry that you feel like windmills is or will get pillaged but I truly think that most if not all of our kayak locations can handle one day of heavier than normal fishing.

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff 
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Radar 135 Pedal Drive
Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Offline LOpaddler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • L.O. Hawg Squad, Deep 6 Kayak Fishing
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 06:25 PM »
X2 Eric,
Also I would just like to say that just because people prefer on spot or another it Does not make it "your" spot. We all do this sport because we like the challenge and excitment of fishing from a kayak. We are on this site to share knowledge, meet new friends and promote in a positive way the sport we love. We are very limited here on the Central Coast as to where we can safely launch and fish we do not need any territorial mumbo jumbo to dirty the waters of an awesome sport. My 2 cents
Wildy Ride 115X Max

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 07:35 PM »
X2 Eric,
Also I would just like to say that just because people prefer on spot or another it Does not make it "your" spot. We all do this sport because we like the challenge and excitment of fishing from a kayak. We are on this site to share knowledge, meet new friends and promote in a positive way the sport we love. We are very limited here on the Central Coast as to where we can safely launch and fish we do not need any territorial mumbo jumbo to dirty the waters of an awesome sport. My 2 cents

WORD!

Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Offline SeaWeed

• Go Seahawks
  • Thresher Shark
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 08:48 PM »
Look I might be the rare bird. But I do the tournaments to meet people and enjoy the fishing. At that point I feel I have already won something. And supported this site at the same time. I do AOTY but consider it a donation, as it isn't much anyway. The odds of somebody winning the yak are good. But I hope the yak was donated because there are not that many. So as far as people being in it for the money lost out on AOTY. Do I take it real serious I guess not. I never added my fish from CSD111. Could I be serious yes because I could fish almost everyday. In fact if I won that yak I already have three, I bought. I'd just donate the one I won to HOW here on the central coast. As when HOW does happen, we'll need a few yaks. So I hope people would relax, and have fun. As that is what it is all about. If it was for the money I spend a lot and go pro.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
Perception Swing, Prowler 15, Hobie Outback. Is Three Enough?

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 11:06 PM »
Surf and lopaddler well said.  Windmills is a launch area just like leff, which provides access to a vast area to fish in for this tournament.  Windmills is no secret spot and is fished on the regular by many people.  I too hope no one would leave the site over a tournament , but if it bothers someone that much then do what you feel you need to do.  No one is trying to blow up any ones "spot"  we are just having a one day tourney to benefit a great orginization, using a couple well known launch spots.

PRO Kayak Fishing

Wilderness Systems Pro Staff     
AT Paddles Pro Staff
ProKayakFishing.com Pro Staff
ACA Member

Offline Zodiacker

• Another Capricorn
  • Steelhead
  • I Zod Out
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 08:23 AM »
I never seem to do well in Tournaments, but I enter them anyway. As to where? It's got to be somewhere where there is water and the Pacific ocean is full of it. As for the Central Coast, the launch spots are limited as mentioned and so are the amenities like camp grounds, rest rooms, parking areas, and cleaning stations.

Besides, won't the Cayucos pier be remodeled and open by June 2015?

Just like most rock fish...things are looking up! :D
Becoming a better waterman and kayaker should be more of a target to focus on than catching fish. The fish will always be around, but will you?

Offline billydog

• pline+
  • Salmon
  • lets go fishing
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 07:34 PM »
hi all it wasn't the turny it was ryans  response. ill be there on an earlier post suckufish had it right  no hard feeling from me its our ocean  :)
when im on the water im free.me and my FERNZY

Offline billydog

• pline+
  • Salmon
  • lets go fishing
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 08:10 PM »
one more thing I like this site great group of peps I show my cckf stuff (shirts ,stickers ) with pride I would like to help on this event, tables tents footwork flyers hit me up PEACE OUT
when im on the water im free.me and my FERNZY

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2014, 09:08 PM »
Thanks Bill! I'll keep you posted as it gets closer.

Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Offline FlyYaker

• "My biggest worry is my wife (when I'm dead) will try to sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it..."
  • Cabazon
  • Get off the couch. Lets go!
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 08:42 AM »
I 've been in outage mode for a while so I missed this until now.
Tourney format? If there is anything we can do to lessen the impact I would vote to do it.
Poaching some ones honey hole? Bring in kayak fisherman who respect our resources. No problems.
Doing a little bit to give back to the men and women who have given so much for our way of life? Count me in!
Eric, Ryan, Mary, Derrick, Andy, and all the other folks who help put together these types of events work their butts off to make them happen. Thank you.
Eric I think the Slammers will be present and accounted for. I can help out too. Just let me know what you need brother.
Scott K.
Custom Kraken 15.5 Elite
Grey Cobra F&D
Urban Camo Predator 13
Grey Cobra XL (Leaks from the bite marks)
Channel 68

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 11:31 AM »
Right on, Scott! I will let you know when and if we need a hand, thanks Brotha!

My final word on the dust up from a couple days ago, then I am moving forward and focusing on putting on a safe and fun event...

I think we all agree that we do not want to overfish our fishery or impact one spot too much. That's why we look for other locations to hold events and not do everything at Leff or any single spot. I sincerely hope that Joe remains on the site and whether he chooses to attend the tournament or not knows that he is welcome, no hard feelings here. As for everybody else, lets move on. There are some exciting things happening locally that will hopefully enhance our local kayak fishing community and I for one am excited to be a part of it. For those that don't like tournaments, don't want to be involved in them, or just want to focus on the solitude of fishing their prefered spot that's great! I like that too, I just also happen to enjoy the competitive aspect of a tourney as well. As with any "family" feathers get ruffled from time to time, we have a great community here. Let's keep it moving and do what we all love and what brought us all together and Go Fish!

Tight lines, cheers! 

Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 11:33 AM »
Scott, the format for the event can be found here:

http://esterobaykayakfishing.blogspot.com/p/estero-kayak-challenge.html

Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Offline allwet

• Striper
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 06:16 PM »
Let me know if you need a hand with anything as well!
Sharpening hooks

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 06:43 PM »
Will do. Thanks, appreciate it!

Felton Lures Pro Staff