Author Topic: Save the carcass for some fish sauce  (Read 1926 times)

Offline JK

• Administrator
  • Steelhead
  • Go Get 'Em
    • CCKF
Save the carcass for some fish sauce
« on: April 17, 2013, 03:24 PM »
I saw this one one of the food channels - seemed easy so I gave it a shot last year

Save a couple carcasses from your rock fish limit you WILL get on opening day :D

Get a fairly large pot depending on the size of your catch - put a teaspoon or so of olive oil and heat on medium - add a couple cloves of whole garlic and a shallot roughly chopped - let them brown in the oil but don't burn them - once they get dark remove and throw away

Break up the carcasses so they are stuffed into the bottom of the pot
then fill the pot with water to just cover the carcasses - and make sure all the blood and guts are removed - we just want the head and bones

Bring to a boil and add some of your favorite spices/herbs - I like a bit of rosemary, thyme with a good amount of salt, some pepper and a couple bay leaves - really you can do whatever you want

Boil for about 30-45 minutes or so and remove the carcasses.  Bring back to a high boil and reduce down until there is only about 1/2" of liquid in the bottom of the pot. Remove the rosemary, thyme and bay leaves.  Add a couple slabs of butter and a bit of heavy cream to thicken it up - season to taste from there

Works great however you prepare your fish - especially baked or grilled - but also make a good dipping sauce for fried fish sticks (Ryan - No Gorton's)

Old Town Predator PDL
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3
@JK_CCKF
Team Central Coast Kayak Fishing

Offline Impractical Fishermen

• Dan
  • Halibut
  • A.D.I.D.A.K.F.
    • The Impractical Fishermen
Re: Save the carcass for some fish sauce
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 03:33 PM »
I am going to have to try this.