Author Topic: Scupper Hole transducer mount Tarpon 100  (Read 5353 times)

Offline Caleb

• Crappie
  • Paddling around Baywood
Scupper Hole transducer mount Tarpon 100
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:47 AM »
My final decision was to go with the Lowrance Elite-4 DSI, I have never had a fish finder on a boat or kayak before so though I am familiar with them, this is my first experience. I was persuaded by William Patterson when I saw how nicely the DSI transducer fit with the scupper hole install.
The install of the scupper transducer kit and the Elite 4 DSI went pretty smooth and after my first week on the water I am completely satisfied with the results.

In the end here is a list of what I used:
Tarpon 100
Elite 4 DSI
Lowrance Kayak Scupper Transducer Mount (from austinkayak.com)
Hobie Through Hull Wiring Kit (from austinkayak.com)
Drybox, wiring, switch and so on from local retailers
Thin 1/8th 5x5 piece of rubber

With the wiring grommets I can switch which side I want the transducer on pretty easily, but the fish finder on the left side is working pretty well at the moment.

-Battery-
The battery is held in a drybox I got at a sporting goods store, The battery is held in place with foam, a fuse and power switch is used for safety purposes and some silicon grease is a must to keep water, specially salt water out of connections.

I used speaker wire for the for the added length needed from bow to the center of the boat.

Velcro holds it in place as far back as I can in the front of the boat, accessible from the bow hatch.

One problem I have encountered is that after 3-4 hours on the water the power switch is burning hot, it does not appear to effect functionality but something needs to be done, I plan to add a waterproof connector for easier battery charging and am looking into the heat problem atm.

-Wiring-
The wiring of the fish finder from left to right is as follows:
Lowrance scupper hold mount
Hobie Through hull in
Hobie Through hull out
and a scupper plug.

I can switch left to right order pretty easily If i want to change the side my FF is on. I may center mount my FF but not probably not.

I really like how clean everything is. The wires do not get in the way of anything. I run the wires up through a loop in the bungee on the right side as seen in the picture. The Hobie through hull kit does prevent the center hatch from opening by about 10 degrees, helping more then hurting.

note: originally the left to right order was reversed as you see in the picture.

-Transducer-
The transducer was a big part of my deciding factor of my purchase. I had planned on a wet mount in hull for the Elite 4 FF but once I saw how nicely the transducer fit, and for only an extra $50 I decided to go with the DSI. I am familiar with fish finders but have never had one of my own. The DSI has given me great detail of what is below me, In the bay where I fish there pretty much either sand/mud or grass. A few rocks here and there. As for the detail of the DSI, there are many moorings for boats in the harbor, and while going over them I can see the rope on my screen as a line from the floor to the surface (party depending on where I pass over it) The detail is just astounding. I can see my lure while it is under the boat as well. Siting fish is no problem.

Another test of clarity is the countless seals, otters and birds that dive into the water to catch fish. Today as a bird dove down under my boat to get a fish and I saw the bird clear on the screen.

-Transducer 2-
Transducer mounting itself is a issue I will come to here.

The transducer kit is a general kit of course and did need some modification, I cut back the plastic and the foam of the mounting piece so it slides in easily. Originally this meant that the transducer not only made direct contact with the hull, it also meant that it bared the pressure of the lower mounting. I cut out a piece of rubber to the shape needed and placed it between the transducer and the hull. The fit is snug and the transducer is less likely to get damaged. I imagine that this also will cut down on any vibration from he hull...

Overall I am very pleased with my Tarpon 100 and the Lowrance Elite 4 DSI.

original post: http://wildernesssystems.ning.com/forum/topics/scupper-hole-transducer-mount-tarpon-100

Brand new to kayak fishing and looking forward to getting out in the water!

Offline Impractical Fishermen

• Dan
  • Halibut
  • A.D.I.D.A.K.F.
    • The Impractical Fishermen
Re: Scupper Hole transducer mount Tarpon 100
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 08:50 AM »
Great looking write up so far.
Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler 13
Mad River 13 foot Canoe

http://theimpracticalfishermen.com/
http://theimpracticalfishermen/tumblr.com/

Lucid Fishing, Product tester

Offline Caleb

• Crappie
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 08:51 AM »
yeah, wish i could figure how to put the pictures in line with links to full size image. but this works for now i reckon, the FF unit itself is mounted on a Ram mount with a Lowrance Elite 4 adapter.

Offline Impractical Fishermen

• Dan
  • Halibut
  • A.D.I.D.A.K.F.
    • The Impractical Fishermen
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 09:03 AM »
There is an easy way to do it if you have a facebook or any other online way to publish photos. Right click on the image, select copy URL, click the image tool You will get little guys that look like this [img ][ /img]. Then you paste your code in the middle and you have it.
Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler 13
Mad River 13 foot Canoe

http://theimpracticalfishermen.com/
http://theimpracticalfishermen/tumblr.com/

Lucid Fishing, Product tester

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
  • PRO Kayak Fishing - "We know kayak fishing!"
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 09:42 AM »
Nice write up Caleb.  Sounds like the Lowrance has some great detail.  I have a low end Humminbird and although I am happy with it, it serves my basic needs, it is not very detailed. 

On a side note, you mentioned that you fish the port a lot, any info. on the halibut scene?

Thanks for sharing your project and pics.  Cheers

Eric

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff 
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Radar 135 Pedal Drive
Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Shop local and help support the businesses that support you all year long.

Offline Caleb

• Crappie
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 08:30 AM »
Hey Eric, no flatties yet, probably gonna head out again early Tuesday morning.
--
I will probably edit the first post to make it more flattering in the future. I also have plans for an in hull trolley setup to help with storage space (though that is not a problem at the moment).

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • Tight Lines
    • CCKF
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 09:44 AM »
Thanks for the details on the report. Really like it.
FINS Quality Braided Lines Pro-Staff
Shark Shield Pro-Staff
Pro-Cure Pro-Staff
Pacific Lures Pro Staff
Big Hammer VIP
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2