Author Topic: Fishfinder mounting...  (Read 21172 times)

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
Re: Fishfinder mounting...
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 06:50 PM »
This is a honey hole of fatty stripers all wanting to become tacos! Lol

lol  ;D

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 05:48 PM »
So I have the ram mount attached to the rail system now and need to figure out where to go through the hull with the wires.
Also ran into another little issue.. Its damn hard to find a flat level spot to mount the transducer inside my hull.. being a pontoon style and all.. Inside the front hatch and toward the stern a good way seems less than level. I need to have that figured out before I go any further.  :'(

Maybe I will take some pics as I go along so everyone can watch me screw this up haha  ;D

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 06:29 PM »
Was thinking about going through my bow hatch with the wires to avoid drilling into the kayak...

Something like this maybe (please excuse my poor photo shop work  :D ) :

screen capture windows

I don't know if that particular through deck wire seal will work because of how wide it is and the way the orbix hatch is constructed:

Also dont know if I want the battery in that exact location.. The split wire ducting / conduit:

that would run to the hatch would be zip tied and have a few pieces of velcro under the zip ties and some velcro tape on the deck so I can stick it down in case it moves more than I think it will (it would be under 24 inches long I think). 
Basically I want to avoid drilling an inch wide hole through my kayak if I can(I think the large connectors on my fish finder would make this necessary in order for them to fit through) . Does anyone think this looks like it would work?  ;D
RG

Offline Shogunofthecity

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 07:23 PM »

RG, this is just my two cents on the subject...  It sounds like you have really done your homework and acquired all the top notch parts for your project.  I know it sounds like you are afraid to drill a hole in your kayak because you may ruin it or something.  But I have worked with just about every media/material known to man, and modern kayak plastic is among the easiest to build/repair that I have ever come across.  So personally, the fear of ruining my kayak is non existent.  That being said, I would recommend getting a pre-manufactured thru-hull wire kit like you have pictured or like Hobie offers, and just do the job right the first time.  Leave yourself just enough slack to adjust the unit, but keep the on deck cable to a minimum, and run it into the hull asap.  Keep it clean and your deck as clear as possible.  It is totally up to you in the end, but having 1-2' of wire exposed on the deck is going to get caught on something eventually, no matter how much velcro you have.  It would be a shame to lose a trophy fish due to some crap in the way, or damaging the unit from yanking on the cables.  Plus the idea of moving the wires every time you open/close the hatch seams like a poor one, and will just encourage you to keep the hatch closed.  Keep your workspace clean and clear so you can focus on the job at hand.  I do know that from experience, using the Hobie thru-hull wire kit, that if you drill the correct size hole, if down the road you remove the wires and kit, the hole can be plugged with a flush mount bungee plug in a matter of seconds.  That and every serious kayak angler should look into a plastic welder for the future, to prevent nice yaks from being cut into tiny pieces, lol.  And you have the right idea on the split flex loom for the wires, I have used that on all my yaks.  Hope this helps, Cant wait to see it rigged up!

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 11:21 PM »

RG, this is just my two cents on the subject...  It sounds like you have really done your homework and acquired all the top notch parts for your project.  I know it sounds like you are afraid to drill a hole in your kayak because you may ruin it or something.  But I have worked with just about every media/material known to man, and modern kayak plastic is among the easiest to build/repair that I have ever come across.  So personally, the fear of ruining my kayak is non existent.  That being said, I would recommend getting a pre-manufactured thru-hull wire kit like you have pictured or like Hobie offers, and just do the job right the first time.  Leave yourself just enough slack to adjust the unit, but keep the on deck cable to a minimum, and run it into the hull asap.  Keep it clean and your deck as clear as possible.  It is totally up to you in the end, but having 1-2' of wire exposed on the deck is going to get caught on something eventually, no matter how much velcro you have.  It would be a shame to lose a trophy fish due to some crap in the way, or damaging the unit from yanking on the cables.  Plus the idea of moving the wires every time you open/close the hatch seams like a poor one, and will just encourage you to keep the hatch closed.  Keep your workspace clean and clear so you can focus on the job at hand.  I do know that from experience, using the Hobie thru-hull wire kit, that if you drill the correct size hole, if down the road you remove the wires and kit, the hole can be plugged with a flush mount bungee plug in a matter of seconds.  That and every serious kayak angler should look into a plastic welder for the future, to prevent nice yaks from being cut into tiny pieces, lol.  And you have the right idea on the split flex loom for the wires, I have used that on all my yaks.  Hope this helps, Cant wait to see it rigged up!

[/quote

Or I could just drill a hole in the kayak plastic :D

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:27 PM by RG »

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • Tight Lines
    • CCKF
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 07:54 AM »
Yep,   
Drill, Drill, Drill

Only saying this because they are ma de for the lowrance FF, but get a hobie wire kit one hole no other drilling. Place the wires up it and thread the locking nut on the back.
FINS Quality Braided Lines Pro-Staff
Shark Shield Pro-Staff
Pro-Cure Pro-Staff
Pacific Lures Pro Staff
Big Hammer VIP
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline RipTide aka Cor-Dawg

• Yellow Eye
  • Get Some Action!
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 08:44 AM »
Yep,   
Drill, Drill, Drill

Only saying this because they are ma de for the lowrance FF, but get a hobie wire kit one hole no other drilling. Place the wires up it and thread the locking nut on the back.

I bought the hobie wire kit and it is awsome, cheap, and easy to put together. I recommend it too
«˘obra ° ˘ommanders» ™
8th place in CCSD-IV
*RipTide* 2006 21'20 Parker

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 11:06 AM »
Yep,   
Drill, Drill, Drill

I bought the hobie wire kit and it is awsome, cheap, and easy to put together. I recommend it too

Can you buy the kit locally or did you order it online?

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • Tight Lines
    • CCKF
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 04:11 PM »
Yep,   
Drill, Drill, Drill

Can you buy the kit locally or did you order it online?

Gonna have to order it, since we do not have a hobie dealer at the moment.
but this is that kit
http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/servlet/the-1352/Hobie-Thru-Hull-Wiring/Detail
Shark Shield Pro-Staff
Pro-Cure Pro-Staff
Pacific Lures Pro Staff
Big Hammer VIP

Offline Shogunofthecity

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 07:28 PM »

Fyi, you can also order it here if you only need 1.  And ACK has the fastest shipping around, plus they have a 10% off code in their latest email. 

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/13012/Hobie-Thru-Hull-Plug.html

Get'R'Done  :P

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 08:28 PM »

Fyi, you can also order it here if you only need 1.  And ACK has the fastest shipping around, plus they have a 10% off code in their latest email. 

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/13012/Hobie-Thru-Hull-Plug.html

Get'R'Done  :P

I would prefer to buy only what I need. but isnt there supposed to be some sort of rubber insert inside there as well??

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • Tight Lines
    • CCKF
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 08:45 PM »
The single doesn't come with the plug, the set I showed comes with an assortment of wire plugs depending on what yours requires. Hobie sells in the two pack for the lowrance ready yaks.

As for the discount will not work, because it is a Hobie product. 

Good luck,
RH
Shark Shield Pro-Staff
Pro-Cure Pro-Staff
Pacific Lures Pro Staff
Big Hammer VIP

Offline lopezcador

• Yellow Eye
    • Lopezcador
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 09:11 PM »
great info to help thanks guys--hopefully makes an easy install. My FF comes in a few days and can't wait.
Estero bay 2015- 10th place 2- fish cat.   Estero bay - 2016 1st place - cabby cat.

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2015, 12:29 PM »
great info to help thanks guys--hopefully makes an easy install. My FF comes in a few days and can't wait.

Have you received your unit Lopezcador? Started the install yet? I still havent purchased a battery.. Been busy..Ive looked around a little.. haven't found a good price yet. I'm looking to spend around 30-40 tops for a battery and charger..Also trying to figure out a battery box I can make for cheap. Still need to order that Hobie through hull mount kit as well.
 ??? ??? ???  8)

Offline Nakatack

• Tree Rockfish
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2015, 06:43 PM »

Have you received your unit Lopezcador? Started the install yet? I still havent purchased a battery.. Been busy..Ive looked around a little.. haven't found a good price yet. I'm looking to spend around 30-40 tops for a battery and charger..Also trying to figure out a battery box I can make for cheap. Still need to order that Hobie through hull mount kit as well.
 ??? ??? ???  8)

RG: Best deal on a battery is Home Depot 12volt 7amp  $18.00
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it.