Author Topic: Fishfinder mounting...  (Read 21173 times)

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
Re: Fishfinder mounting...
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2015, 08:26 PM »
RG, if you can get them to sit flush like you suggest in your drawing it will work better. Just don't go too narrow and it should work great.

I'll have to make a new one later  >:(.... I have the extra pvc, just dont have the extra time. I had some extra pvc, so I made a much longer handle..about 5 or so feet... It makes it 100% easier to place the cart under the yak.  I can insert it, put the cart in position, then with a little twist, remove it.  Ill have to place a couple ratchet straps in the front and back of the carts arms to hold it in place until I can find the time to make a new one  :-[   :D

In hindsight, I might have preferred to have the hole for the ff wires drilled closer to the rail mount system...but it is what it is.. I'm no professional..I may just plug the hole i am using now with one of the t hobie thru hull plugs I am going to get soon here.. and drill another one up on the rail..
Heres a few pics.. one of the cart and a few of the ff install. anyhow... Tell me watcha think  ::) I better clean up my mess now before the wife kills me lol.  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2015, 03:38 PM »
FINALLY got around to ordering a Hobie through hull kit. If anyone has an idea on how to improve this setup let it fly.. Thought about getting the scupper mount for the xducer.. Also thought about plugging the hole I have shown in the pics and going through the rail instead.. Not really fond of drilling more holes though. Hope the hobie kit works out well.. Pics to come.

Offline Shogunofthecity

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2015, 04:44 PM »
I like the idea of the wires entering the rail just after the channel. 

Offline JJ

• Sanddab
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2015, 04:57 PM »

+1

Offline DesertYak

• Mackeral
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2015, 10:49 PM »
Rg, I've done 2 through hulls on kayaks and one on a jet ski(thicker hull).  I started with an elaborate deployment arm on my yak after I watched my buddy bang the crap out of his transducer loading and unloading his Malibu time after time. I wasn't willing to damage mine and buy another transducer so I rigged up a deployment arm. As others said, it hung up on stuff. 

I went to through hull and never looked back. Unless yours is set up to take a transducer and it fits really well, I'd go though hull and see if the compromises are worth it. For what its worth, no problems with a hummingbird piranha max 180 or the Lawrence 4 hdi in either hull and I used the duct seal.  No glue, silicone, water etc, just pushed it in well to get good contact. 

You have to decide if water temp is important to you or if you can adjust a few degrees or if your ff has problems at greater depths.(could be the install method).
Heritage Redfish

Offline DesertYak

• Mackeral
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2015, 10:59 PM »
And I've launched and completely swamped the yak in Cayucos, filled the cockpit.  as I paddled through it kelp plugged the scupper holes as water drained out... and I was glad there wasn't a transducer taking up one of the scupper holes.
Heritage Redfish

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2015, 12:41 AM »
I like the idea of the wires entering the rail just after the channel.
Yeah me too.. I put the hole in that spot so i could mount it in the center if  I ever wanted to... Still thinking about putting one in the rail though.

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2015, 12:46 AM »
Rg, I've done 2 through hulls on kayaks and one on a jet ski(thicker hull).  I started with an elaborate deployment arm on my yak after I watched my buddy bang the crap out of his transducer loading and unloading his Malibu time after time. I wasn't willing to damage mine and buy another transducer so I rigged up a deployment arm. As others said, it hung up on stuff. 

I went to through hull and never looked back. Unless yours is set up to take a transducer and it fits really well, I'd go though hull and see if the compromises are worth it. For what its worth, no problems with a hummingbird piranha max 180 or the Lawrence 4 hdi in either hull and I used the duct seal.  No glue, silicone, water etc, just pushed it in well to get good contact. 

You have to decide if water temp is important to you or if you can adjust a few degrees or if your ff has problems at greater depths.(could be the install method).

Ive been using this Elite 4 HDI ff with a through hull install with the duct seal and its ok for the most part..Dont care about water temp really... but sometimes I get a lot of clutter in the water column when it seems like there shouldn't be any. Maybe just need to adjust the duct seal or something...

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2015, 09:58 AM »
Well I got the through hull kit in the mail. Looks like there is no way to run all 3 wires through one of these, so if I want to run them through the rail closer the the fish finder I will have to use BOTH through hull mounts and drill 2 more holes. Not so sure that sounds like a great idea..or if they would even fit on the rail.. Also I would have to order another kit to be able to properly plug the existing hole.  That pretty much sums it up.

Offline Shogunofthecity

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2015, 11:13 AM »
Did you end up getting the Hobie thru-hull kit?  If so, Im pretty sure most of us are using that same one with all 3 wire through nice and neat, I know at least I am.  Hope this helps.

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2015, 10:11 PM »
Did you end up getting the Hobie thru-hull kit?  If so, Im pretty sure most of us are using that same one with all 3 wire through nice and neat, I know at least I am.  Hope this helps.
Yeah I got the hobie kit. I dont see any inserts that would fit my wiring.. I will look again. Did you have to modify it or something?

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2015, 11:59 PM »

Yeah sorry , I wasn't clear.. The wires fit through the actual thru hull ring/hole but its pretty tight...What I meant was that there wasn't really a suitable insert to  accommodate 3 wires.  The only one I can see that could possibly work is the one with the single large hole. Otherwise I may have to use goop.

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2015, 12:02 AM »
I used the duct seal.  No glue, silicone, water etc, just pushed it in well to get good contact. 

So if you arent using water are you using a layer of duct seal beneath the xducer as well as around the sides and top then ? Ive heard about doing it like that. If so, how thick is the layer you put as a base?
RG

Offline RipTide aka Cor-Dawg

• Yellow Eye
  • Get Some Action!
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2015, 08:50 PM »
I used the duct seal.  No glue, silicone, water etc, just pushed it in well to get good contact. 

So if you arent using water are you using a layer of duct seal beneath the xducer as well as around the sides and top then ? Ive heard about doing it like that. If so, how thick is the layer you put as a base?
RG

I bought one of these foam pads for my transducer. I gooped the bottom and outer sides directly to the inside of my kayak, let it dry, then put a thick layer of goop in the insert and pushed the transducer firmly down and kept a weight on it so it would stay down and keep a stronger contact withou letting air buddies get in and interfere. The ff reads everything perfectly and i haven't had any issues with it yet. (Knock on wood)
«˘obra ° ˘ommanders» ™
8th place in CCSD-IV
*RipTide* 2006 21'20 Parker