Author Topic: Kayak Anchor  (Read 6168 times)

Offline michaelfish

• Rainbow Trout
  • go fish
Kayak Anchor
« on: May 10, 2015, 11:56 AM »
I've been away from the central coast living in mendocino county for a while now and have taken up freediving. I have two wilderness systems ride 135 kayaks that are all rigged up for kayak fishing. I'm planning on bringing them up north this summer to dive off of now that I will finally have somewhere to store them.. My yaks don't currently have any type of anchor system. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what might be a good option for an anchor setup? Weight, deployment, ect. Thanks

Offline allwet

• Striper
Re: Kayak Anchor
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 02:46 PM »
I think most people probably just tie up to the kelp.  Anchoring a kayak in the ocean comes with more risks an rope then may make it worth it....
Sharpening hooks

Offline Gaffin_Grumps

• 🚣 🐟
  • Mackeral
  • Fishaholic
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 03:11 PM »
I think most people probably just tie up to the kelp.  Anchoring a kayak in the ocean comes with more risks an rope then may make it worth it....
👍 +1 tie off securely to kelp.
"Grump"- a very large / old fish

Old Town Predator 13 - Yellow

Offline MikeinFresno

• Sheephead
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 03:41 PM »
with an anchor you have a set distance to the bottom, When a wave or swell comes by that set distance may be a few feet under water at the peak of the swell.

Offline michaelfish

• Rainbow Trout
  • go fish
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 03:59 PM »
I have a kelp clip which is great when you are diving hear kelp. Unlike fishing season, dive season is year round so it is not uncommon to be diving in areas without any kelp. I think I may buy some marine grade bungee chord to help with the change in depth. Thanks for the advice!

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
  • PRO Kayak Fishing - "We know kayak fishing!"
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 08:47 PM »
My suggestion would be to send albondiga a message, he dives off his kayak. Also, try hitting up the guys on NCKA who dive and see what they have to say.

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff 
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Radar 135 Pedal Drive
Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Shop local and help support the businesses that support you all year long.

Offline fishlips

• Canary
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 08:49 AM »
If it's 50ft. Deep use 75ft. Anchor line

Offline RipTide aka Cor-Dawg

• Yellow Eye
  • Get Some Action!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 04:30 PM »
I've seen these fairly cheap at yard sales and swap meets. They are small, lightweight, compact and safe. I haven't personally used one tho but I bought one for $5
«˘obra ° ˘ommanders» ™
8th place in CCSD-IV
*RipTide* 2006 21'20 Parker

Offline RipTide aka Cor-Dawg

• Yellow Eye
  • Get Some Action!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 04:31 PM »
«˘obra ° ˘ommanders» ™
8th place in CCSD-IV
*RipTide* 2006 21'20 Parker

Offline Ryanimpreza

• Lingcod
  • Pro kayak fishing / realistic wraps prostaff
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 06:33 PM »
I try to stay on my kayak when I'm out there so my option may not matter but to me the kelp clip I think I would go with because I think it would be easier to use, more consistant and easier and lighter to pack.
2015 red hobie outback
Instagram.........ryanimpreza
3rd place 2015 AOTY
2nd place 2016 AOTY

Offline fishlips

• Canary
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 07:32 PM »
If you use that claw anchor don't forget to add 3 to 5 ft. Of chain at the end so the anchor grabs correctly.

Offline Shogunofthecity

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 09:53 PM »
     Personally I use an anchor often and find it extremely effective.  My set up works well even in very strong river currents.  I use a 3lb claw anchor like the one Cor-dawg showed and I have 4-5lbs of lead wrapped around the rope just above the anchor about the length of the anchor shaft itself.  What a chain or in my case lead weight ahead of the anchor does is force the anchor to lay on the bottom in the correct position so that the claws are in fact digging into the ground instead of just flopping around.  Also if you do get a claw anchor, be sure to attach the mainline to the claw end of the anchor, then attach the line via a zip tie to the end you would think the line is supposed to be tied to.  I had my anchor stuck bad one time, and with enough effort I was able to break the zip tie and then the anchor was pulled from the other end and the anchor came right out backwards, I hope that makes sense.  As far as deployment of the anchor on a kayak, a good rule of thumb is to let out at least twice as much line as is the depth of the water.  For example: if you are in 50 fow, let out at least 100 feet of line or more.  This will keep the line at a 45 degree angle or more and will help the anchor dig the claws in deep as well as give you some much needed slack on the change in elevation due to ocean swells.  Most importantly the use of an anchor trolly is highly recommended to ensure you anchor is connected to your yak from the bow or stern when deployed, so that it will pull down from the front or back and not the sides.  And last but not least, attach a float to the end of the line and learn a reliable quick release knot.    I think it's totally awesome that you are getting your Wildys back in action and Im sure I speak for the rest of us that I look forward and hope to hear about some of your diving adventures.  And just like anything, after a little practice, you will be able to easily deploy and retrieve your anchor with your eyes closed, and feel totally safe and secure in the process.  Once again my personal set up is on a Hobie Outback, anchor trollies on both sides, 3lb claw anchor with 4+lbs of lead wrapped just ahead of the line (I used lead because on a yak a chain would annoy me), and I have about 220 feet of thin para cord type line tied to a small float.  As you can see in the picture below the entire unit hardly takes up any space at all when I hit the water, and I actually have a carabineer tied inline so that I can keep the unit clipped to a pad eye in the back of my tank well just incase I get rolled. 

Offline fishlips

• Canary
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 12:15 PM »
That sounds like a perfect yak set up.

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 09:32 PM »
Awesome explanation about the anchor! Some good tips in there.

PRO Kayak Fishing

Wilderness Systems Pro Staff     
AT Paddles Pro Staff
ProKayakFishing.com Pro Staff
ACA Member

Offline Zodiacker

• Another Capricorn
  • Steelhead
  • I Zod Out
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 08:23 AM »
Awesome explanation about the anchor! Some good tips in there.

+1 thanks and great write up.

I might also mention the possible(?) use of a hand dumb bell with hex shaped balls on the end of the shaft as an anchor. A 4 pound one would work for a kayak as long as you really don't need to combat heavy swells/wind or current. Dumb bells at Dick's are cheaper than anchors by more than 50%  ;D

I Zod Out
Becoming a better waterman and kayaker should be more of a target to focus on than catching fish. The fish will always be around, but will you?