Author Topic: Smokers  (Read 596 times)

Offline hook

• Sanddab
Smokers
« on: August 08, 2017, 06:48 AM »
Looking to buy a smoker for my fish. I could use some advice on the difference between electric,and regular. Pros and cons for each would be helpful.
Thanks, Dennis

Offline Life_is_Yak

• Lizardfish
  • living the dream called life
Re: Smokers
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 10:46 PM »
electric are pretty much automatic.  they control the heat and the smoke output.  you basically set it and come back when its done.  My uncle has one and he can set it to smoke during the day while he is working and come home to a smoked meal. The old school type you have to control everything, the air the chips, etc.  so it just takes a little more practice and you will have to spend time watching your meal.
Jackson Kraken 15.5
Hobie Outback

Offline PJ

• Striper
  • Practice Catch and Release
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 02:29 PM »
I have an old school one.  I paid something like $50 for it.  I respectfully disagree with the old school ones being difficult.  I do the same thing everytime.  Throw in the coal, flame it up, throw in the wood chips & fish after 30.  Let it go for an hour & half to 3 hours.  Usually the coals burn down enough that smoking it a lot longer doesn't dry it out, at least for me.  I love the smell & taste from it too.  Charcoal & applewood, brined in applejuice & I get rave reviews everytime :)
Personal Best 8'+ Thresher on 20lb Mono:)

Offline Life_is_Yak

• Lizardfish
  • living the dream called life
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 09:09 AM »
I have an old school one.  I paid something like $50 for it.  I respectfully disagree with the old school ones being difficult.  I do the same thing everytime.  Throw in the coal, flame it up, throw in the wood chips & fish after 30.  Let it go for an hour & half to 3 hours.  Usually the coals burn down enough that smoking it a lot longer doesn't dry it out, at least for me.  I love the smell & taste from it too.  Charcoal & applewood, brined in applejuice & I get rave reviews everytime :)

I didn't mean the old school were difficult.  But practice does make it easy.  I also probably shouldn't have said you have to spend time watching your meal.  What  I should have said it you have to spend time setting the fire/smoke or cook temp.  not hard, but it does take time.  If you compare it to an electric setup your ready to go in a few minutes. 

So

Both:
cook great meals easy
both smoke with wood

Electric-quick setup done in a few minutes
old school- takes 30 min to setup up fire/smoke

Electric - you buy wood designed to be used in that stove.. probably going to cost a little more
old school - burn what every you want in what ever shape you want - cost will be cheaper

I would say it comes down to what you like/want, how often your going to use it, if you like starting fire, and how much money your willing to spend.  If you want cheap and cost saving or like to get the do it yourself and don't mind a 30 minute start go old school.  If your a microwave simplicity kind of person or you want to smoke often and want to save some time, and don't mind spending a little more money go electric.  Choice is your.  either way the food will be smoked and be great

Jackson Kraken 15.5
Hobie Outback

Offline Night_Hawk

• Night_Hawk
  • Spotted Bass
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 11:43 AM »
As a Meat Scientist I highly recommend the book "Meat Smoking and Smokehouse Design" by Robert Marianski.  This book will have all the information you need on recipes as well as smoke house design.  You can make a much better smoker (vs cooker) for your money.  I will try to post some pics of some that I have made very inexpensively.   
T-14, P-13, H-IA
Tight Lines

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • Tight Lines
    • CCKF
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 01:48 PM »
Nice set up Night_Hawk
FINS Quality Braided Lines Pro-Staff
Shark Shield Pro-Staff
Pro-Cure Pro-Staff
Pacific Lures Pro Staff
Big Hammer VIP
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline Night_Hawk

• Night_Hawk
  • Spotted Bass
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 07:50 PM »
Thank you, been a while since I was on the site. I'm in NC now, but really miss the west coast ... fishing and the people.  The key to smoking anything but especially fish is keeping the heat away from the product.  You want the smoke not the heat for fish. 
T-14, P-13, H-IA
Tight Lines

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • Tight Lines
    • CCKF
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 08:15 AM »
Thank you, been a while since I was on the site. I'm in NC now, but really miss the west coast ... fishing and the people.  The key to smoking anything but especially fish is keeping the heat away from the product.  You want the smoke not the heat for fish. 

That is why I love the chiefs for fish. Little to no heat really comes from that thing unless its Hot outside

Lot of people like to rush the process.
FINS Quality Braided Lines Pro-Staff
Shark Shield Pro-Staff
Pro-Cure Pro-Staff
Pacific Lures Pro Staff
Big Hammer VIP
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2