Author Topic: Wilderness Systems Flex Pod Sonar Install  (Read 4871 times)

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
Wilderness Systems Flex Pod Sonar Install
« on: April 06, 2015, 11:09 PM »
The Wilderness Systems Thresher 140 and 155 Along with the New ATAK  are equipped with the Flex Pod OS.  The Flex Pod is a removable console positioned at the end of the footwell right behind the front storage hatch.  The flex Pod fits into a well with a large rectangular scupper hole to accommodate a variety of transducers.  The flex pod can be used for additional storage, but the main purpose is to house a sonar/gps head unit, and have a transducer mounted to it, with the inside of the pod able to store the battery and wiring.  With your Sonar installed to the Pod it makes for a very clean set up capable of being removed all as one piece and then redeployed very easily back onto the boat for the next trip.
For my install  on a Thresher 140 I went with the Raymarine Dragonfly 5 Pro, but this process would work for many different head units.   I started by mounting the transducer  bracket to the bottom of the pod with three stainless steel screws with rubber backed washers and nylon lock nuts.  I drilled the holes slightly smaller than the screw diameter so when I put the screws in they “thread” themselves into the plastic.  I use silicone on all screw threads and around the nuts on the inside of the pod.

Next I drilled a ¾” hole as close to the top of the recessed channel on the front of the pod.  I had to use a ¾” hole to fit the plug of the head unit through.  To seal the hole I used a rubber grommet cut open to go around the wire and then fit it into the hole and used plenty of silicone front and back to seal it up.  I also mounted a wire securing tab right below the hole outside and right next to it on the inside.  I zip –tied the transducer wire to both tabs.

The next step was putting the waterproof strain relief fitting into the lid of the pod.  I used a ¾” strain relief fitting available in any hardware stores electrical department.  I used this fitting because the size of the transducer plug for the dragon fly was too big for anything smaller.   I drilled a 1” hole  in the lid  and secured the fitting to the lid.  I used an extra washer between the lid and locknut along with silicone on the underside and the rubber o-ring on top of the lid.

Once the fitting was in place I fed the cables through and tightened down until the cables were firmly in place.  I used a little silicone to ensure waterproofing.   At this point the install is pretty much complete.  You could mount the unit directly to the pod or I chose to mount my head unit on a YakAttack 1” screw ball on the slidetrax on the center storage hatch of the Thresher.   

PRO Kayak Fishing

Wilderness Systems Pro Staff     
AT Paddles Pro Staff
ProKayakFishing.com Pro Staff
ACA Member

Offline Dippin-tip'

• Tree Rockfish
Re: Wilderness Systems Flex Pod Sonar Install
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 07:18 PM »
Nice looks like a clean setup. That fish finder looks badass!
2015 Olive Hobie Outback
2017 Jackson kraken 13.5
Central Coast Slam Down IV - 3rd
Central Coast Slam Down V - 6th

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 09:17 PM »
Thanks man.  I am pretty stoked about it.  Going to give it a run through this weekend and will post a review.  It is a dragonfly 5 pro, with chartplotter/gps, chirp, downvision imaging.  Got the navionics + chip with it too.

PRO Kayak Fishing

AT Paddles Pro Staff
ACA Member

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
  • PRO Kayak Fishing - "We know kayak fishing!"
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:58 PM »
Great write up Andy, well done! I checked out Chad's Raymarine last weekend and all I can say is WOW! You are going to love it and I can't wait to get one myself.

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff 
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Radar 135 Pedal Drive
Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Shop local and help support the businesses that support you all year long.

Offline Dippin-tip'

• Tree Rockfish
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 04:28 PM »
Thanks man.  I am pretty stoked about it.  Going to give it a run through this weekend and will post a review.  It is a dragonfly 5 pro, with chartplotter/gps, chirp, downvision imaging.  Got the navionics + chip with it too.

I checked them out today, they look really nice. I see you killing some fish with that thing in the near future. Definitely give a review I'm looking to upgrade hopefully soon.
2015 Olive Hobie Outback
2017 Jackson kraken 13.5
Central Coast Slam Down IV - 3rd
Central Coast Slam Down V - 6th

Offline lopezcador

• Yellow Eye
    • Lopezcador
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 07:48 PM »
OK Dogpound, I gotta see this install. sounds awesome. I love that WS setup ---it ROCKS………..
Estero bay 2015- 10th place 2- fish cat.   Estero bay - 2016 1st place - cabby cat.

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 12:14 AM »
OK Dogpound, I gotta see this install. sounds awesome. I love that WS setup ---it ROCKS………..

I plan on being at MDO Friday, so hopefully see you there!

PRO Kayak Fishing

AT Paddles Pro Staff
ACA Member