Author Topic: Fine dining scallops  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Big_Berg

• Catfish
Fine dining scallops
« on: April 21, 2013, 12:40 PM »
Here is a dish i made for some clients. When at home i replace the store bought scallops for the rock scallops i pluck off rocks while diving. It's a Seared scallop with a presciutto crisp over a heirloom tomato puree and drizzled with a refined basil oil Served with a pallet cleansing Apple radish salad.

Ingredients.

Heirloom tomatoes
Garlic
onion
red wine (i prefer a cab or pinot for this dish)
butter
presciutto 
apples ( i use fuji or honey crisp
raddish
cilantro
champagne vinegar
Fresh harvested rock scallops
basil
olive oil
bulls blood microgreen for garnish
salt to taste

I start with making the pure. I dice the onion, quarter the tomatoes, mince and micro plane a few cloves of garlic. I saute in some butter and olive oil adding the onions first then the minced garlic then tomatoes after a few minutes of cooking before adding each ingredient, until soft and add a splash of the red wine. After it has cook for about 15-20 take out and but in a vitamix blender. Puree and add wine if you need your consistency more liquid. The consistency should be closer to a paste. salt to taste during the cooking process.

Take the presciutto and lay on a sheet pan. Cook for 5 mins or untill crisped at 350.

To make the radish apple salad juliene the raddish and apple soak in champagne vinegar. Chop up cilantro and mix it in.

Take a hand full of fresh basil leaves and put in a vitamix blender with plenty of extra virgin olive oil. You may need to filter with a chinois.

Now the simple part. Sear the scallops in butter leaving the center slightly opaque. While searing spoon over the excess butter in the pan over the scallops.

For plating take the puree and do the standard tear drop spoon swipe by placing a dot of puree with a spoon the swiping it. Place the seared scallop in the origin of the swipe and stick a piece of the presciutto crisp in it. drizzle the basil oil on the plate artistically. Garnish the scallop with bulls blood micro grens. Place a small amount of the radish salad down behind the scallop on the plate. Garnish the salad with an olive oil dipped cilantro leaf.

Here is an old picture of how it should look...

Offline Big_Berg

• Catfish
Re: Fine dining scallops
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 12:43 PM »
This is a picture from a few years ago and looking back it... the plate is a little sloppy for my standards but it gives you the idea on plating