Author Topic: Ocean Kayak Frenzy Rigging.  (Read 8446 times)

Offline Fish N' Chips

• Olive Rockfish
Ocean Kayak Frenzy Rigging.
« on: August 28, 2013, 11:51 AM »
I love my Hobie Adventure for covering water and handling bad conditions, but find it hard to launch along some of the spots with stairs and to carry down the cliffs along the north coast by myself due to its size and weight. 

I am contemplating rigging up my smaller Ocean Kayak Frenzy to ease transport while carrying it down to the water, mainly to access lesser used spots ;).  I fish solo a lot, so do not have an extra set of legs and arms to help me carry it down in the bad spots.

I saw a few of you here also using Frenzy kayaks and was curious how you had them rigged.  The Frenzy paddles well, but I will likely not be covering as much water in it.  Mainly pot holing the kelp in close.

I added a scotty mount to the left front already.  I am thinking of keeping it very clean and simple for ease of transport and launch.  Maybe just a plano box on the back with some rod holders, my tackle and lunch inside.

I appreciate any rigging ideas!  Thanks

Offline ccmeddie

• Sculpin
Re: Ocean Kayak Frenzy Rigging.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 06:24 AM »
Your on the right track for going down the stairs, keep it light and simple.
I use ole Ocean Scrambler for the stairs.

I added 3 flush mount rod holders.( I do not like having a lot above the deck too hard to carry solo down Shell Beach stairs)
Bowline.
Lots of extra pad eyes to tie gear to.
A single dry-bag holds minimal tackle, water and protein bar or anything easy to open OTW.
I also added handle in the sides to have something to hold on to. Found the center balance point and riveted them on.
As far as deadbait ie; squid. I chop it up frozen to the sizes I use and put in a old Tupperware  container tether to a pad eye.
Good Luck

Eddie 
Vintage Wilderness System Tarpon 16ft.
Ocean Scupper Pro 14'9"
Ocean Scupper Classic 14'2"
Vintage Wilderness System The Ride 13'6"
Malibu Pro Tandem 2 13'
Ocean Scrambler 11'2"

Offline billydog

• Halibut
  • lets go fishing
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 09:31 PM »
ive been fishing my frenzy like crazy i have a metal freezer rack behind me all gear is tied down four pvc up rights two horizontal .the up rights are two poles a net and one for my cam,  the two horizontal pvcs are for surf landing put my poles in and they are parallel to my yak no broken polls if i dump it, i like my new t13 but nothing like throwing my frenzy over my shoulder hiking down a cliff
when im on the water im free lake ocean river its all good

Offline Fish N' Chips

• Olive Rockfish
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:45 AM »
Thanks guys.  I am keeping the rigging very simple.  I put a scotty base on the side up front and one in the back.  I want to add another on the back but need to pick up another base.  My plan is to use my my two rocket launcher scotty holders in the back for a net and extra rod, the front holder while rigging or drifting bait. 

I have two small plano tackle boxes with pad eyes.  I attached a S clip to them and just clip them to the elastic in the rear tankwell.  My wheeleze strap on the front bow although the kayak is so light I really do not need the cart.  I have my OK seat and used a paint marker to make fish measurement lines on the side rails.  A small dry bag for snacks and my license and that is all. 

I like it so far.  The set-up is light and so easy.  I love my big kayak for covering water, but this is a good tool for the surf and cliffs.  I will take some pictures of the set-up when I get a chance, I can not wait to try it out.  I have baby detail this week but am hoping to get in a few trips next week.

I do like the Fenzy, it paddles decent and surfs well.  Pretty stable for such a small kayak.