Author Topic: Prowler 13 Angler Scupper Plugs  (Read 3012 times)

Offline BReel

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Oso Fishy
Prowler 13 Angler Scupper Plugs
« on: May 30, 2014, 01:22 PM »
Hey all,

I've been working on getting my Prowler 13 to run a little dryer in the footwells when I'm fishing. I originally ordered some scupper plugs, but they ended up being the wrong size. When I exchanged them, I decided to try out the self-bailing type that are supposed to let water out but not back in. So far in using them (about 5 times OTW), they only really bail water when I'm paddling, but if I'm sitting still and fishing, they seem to let water in pretty quickly. I'm a pretty large guy, and the yak sits kind of low in the water (the Prowler has a pretty low profile in the water even without me and my *probably excessive* fishing gear), so without the plugs there's always a pond in the footwells. I've noticed that if there's any junk in the water like seaweed or larger size sand like at MDO or Windmills, during the launch grains or seaweed will get stuck and leave the self-bailing gizmo on the plug open so that water just rushes in. It's not really possible to flush them once they're installed that I have been able to figure out.

Now, I know that 'yaking is a wet sport (I enjoy that part of it), and I'm certainly not looking to stay dry, just to minimize anchovies or other bait/tackle floating around in the pond with my feet. I'm thinking about just going back to the solid plugs and using my sponge to bail out any water that gets in during the launch, but wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone has had success with the self-bailing scupper plugs on a Prowler or similar (Trident).

Thanks,

Benny

Keep it Reel!

Offline Impractical Fishermen

• Dan
  • Halibut
  • A.D.I.D.A.K.F.
    • The Impractical Fishermen
Re: Prowler 13 Angler Scupper Plugs
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 01:32 PM »
On a lake or some other flat water they are fine. In the surf the plugs, plus my weight sink the kayak and can make it impossable to paddle.

I would recommend just ditching them. The kayak has the holes for a reason. If not pop them in once you are on the water and if it gets rough pull them out.
Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler 13
Mad River 13 foot Canoe

http://theimpracticalfishermen.com/
http://theimpracticalfishermen/tumblr.com/

Lucid Fishing, Product tester