Author Topic: Securing a milk crate  (Read 2471 times)

Offline RG

• Yellow Eye
Securing a milk crate
« on: July 31, 2014, 07:37 PM »
Ok, so I have built a simple milk crate rod holder and I am trying to decide how I want to strap this thing down securely using the existing hardware on my Ride 135.. I really dont want to drill any holes. I do want the crate to be able to make it through a roll over if necessary.. I have already rerouted the bungee that comes on the tank well to make room for the crate.. and Im pretty sure using that flimsy cordage wont do much in the way of keeping this thing secured. My rod holders are zip-tied to the inside of the crate at the corners.. and are 14 inches tall. I also have a heavy duty rectangular crate and some extra pvc, so I may make a second crate as well.. Just need some ideas on how to fasten these things securely.. I was thinking about using some split rings and heavy rubber bungee straps? It just doesnt seem like the factory fasteners that hold the tank well bungee rope in place are up to the job of securing the crate.. I may be wrong..How sturdy are they? Ideas?

The crate:

The tank-well bungee fasteners:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:51 PM by RG »

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
  • PRO Kayak Fishing - "We know kayak fishing!"
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
Re: Securing a milk crate
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 09:17 PM »
I use the supplied bungee cordage plus some of these bungees. Also, I took one of the smaller "Marine" Igloo coolers the 25 qt. and attached rod holders to the outside. That is my "crate".
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:20 PM by surfbrewer »

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff 
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Radar 135 Pedal Drive
Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Shop local and help support the businesses that support you all year long.

Offline Impractical Fishermen

• Dan
  • Halibut
  • A.D.I.D.A.K.F.
    • The Impractical Fishermen
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 08:22 AM »
My Ocean Kayak has a bungee cable built in I just slip my crate into. I would't rule out drilling a hole or two for a hook.  Installing a couble hooks would make it easier to secure and remove the crate. It is not like you ate drilling in the bottom of the boat or doing anythig a rivit wouldn't fill.
Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler 13
Mad River 13 foot Canoe

Lucid Fishing, Product tester

Offline Zodiacker

• Another Capricorn
  • Yellow Eye
  • I Zod Out
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 08:45 AM »
On my Fn'D, I simply use an adjustable strap though the scupper holes in the rear cargo deck.

I Zod Out
Becoming a better waterman and kayaker should be more of a target to focus on than catching fish. The fish will always be around, but will you?