Author Topic: Rigging for the Next Generation  (Read 4523 times)

Offline Shogunofthecity

• Smallmouth Bass
Rigging for the Next Generation
« on: December 15, 2014, 10:20 PM »

Rigging for the Next Generation

This is my latest build, a surprise gift for my 9 year old nephew.  The platform is a Wilderness Riot, and is rocking a custom camo paint job.  It includes a Hummingbird fish finder with the transducer mounted to a pivoting arm on the back of the crate, an upgraded seat, an anchor trolly, and a custom milk crate for the essential gear that had to be sectioned and spliced back together to fit down into the miniature tank well.  Hopefully it will be put to good use, and not only bring lots of positive memories to my family, but also open the door to breeding the next generation of kayak slayers! 

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
  • PRO Kayak Fishing - "We know kayak fishing!"
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
Re: Rigging for the Next Generation
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:27 PM »
He loves it Bro! Gonna try to get them out to Lopez soon. Thanks!

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff 
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Radar 135 Pedal Drive
Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Shop local and help support the businesses that support you all year long.

Offline lopezcador

• Yellow Eye
    • Lopezcador
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 08:43 AM »
That is one awesome paint job!!!!!  who did it, was it custom. how was it done-- Great set up . Bet he is one happy 9 year old.
Estero bay 2015- 10th place 2- fish cat.   Estero bay - 2016 1st place - cabby cat.

Offline PacificViking

• Striper
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 09:29 AM »
Wow that is awesome!!!

Offline Shogunofthecity

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 07:57 PM »

He loves it Bro! Gonna try to get them out to Lopez soon. Thanks!

You are welcome bro-hammy!  Keep up the good work taking care of my sister and those boys.  You are definitely the Man ;)!

Offline Shogunofthecity

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 09:11 PM »

That is one awesome paint job!!!!!  who did it, was it custom. how was it done-- Great set up . Bet he is one happy 9 year old.

Thanks!  I actually did it myself, and yes very custom.  I have done it several times in the past, except this time I did it a bit in reverse.  Using 4 colors, but instead of laying light colors with dark on top to give it a true camouflage, I reversed it so the lightest color would be on top to make the yak brighter and more noticeable on the water.  As I know the boy is brave beyond his years, and its only a matter of time till Surfbrewer is like, "Hey, where did Tristan go?"  And that little guy will have already launched all by himself and be out there doing his own thing, lol.  The process is fairly simple, lay down a base color, then by using your preferred template or what is available; for me, as I am always trying to multitask as you can see in my videos.  I made a day of it by pruning my oleander bushes in the back yard and using the branch and leaves as my template.  Simply lay the branch with the leaves spread over the surface and spray directly over the template thus creating a shadow effect on the surface of the yak.  Then rotate the angle of the branch as you continue to randomize the pattern.  Once you complete this over the entire surface, then grab the next color and repeat the process.  And when done with that, on to the next color and so on...   The key to wrapping it all up is to lay a few coats of matte clear coat over the entire project when you are done with the graphics.  This will meld all the colors together and really class the whole project up.  I know it may appear to be extremely elaborate and complicated, and may have been a real pain in the a** to accomplish.  But fact is, it is a very simple process, and if you can get into a rhythm like dancing, it all kind of takes care of itself.  It truly is one of those instant gratification projects.  A couple hints I have are: Painting is always only going to be as good as your prep, so at least give the yak a bath with a degreaser like a mix of dish soap and water (Magic Erasers are recommended), and if you want to do it right, go over the surface with a scotch brite pad to dull it up and wash and rinse again; and One template will not last forever, go ahead and toss that one that is already covered in paint just before it gets to the point that it starts dripping all over the place.  I have several big plants that I have grown to act as a privacy for my yard, and although Im pretty good about regular maintenance, I ended up trimming all of them, and just as I came down to my last desired cut, I was also laying down the final section of the graphics.  And I even thought to myself, "I Love it When a Plan Comes Together!"   And one more thing, remember, its camo - its beauty is in the imperfections.  And yes it is a plastic kayak, and if you are anything like me who purposely goes out to slay fish and bloody the deck, fish in places that no kayak should go, and ride it hard and put it away wet......   It will surely get banged, scuffed, and scratched along the way.  And its not the end of the world, because Krylon spray paint is cheap, works great, and you can always have another crack at improving your very own design.  Personally, I am looking forward to when the boy hammers this paint job so that I can pass this knowledge on to him and we can do it together.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions.  If you attempt it, please share on here, I wish there was more shares in the rigging section.  To me its all about making the most of your time on the water.  If a custom paint job will make you feel like a cool dude out there, then go for it, enjoy yourself!  I can honestly say I spend way more time studying, prepping, building lures, or tying rigs at home then I ever do actually on the water.  So that when it is my time to launch, I go into what I call Cruise Control, a simple method of going through the motions and executing as efficiently as possible.  My mind is stress free, and more often than not, all I am concerned about is whats for lunch and when should I eat it, lol.  Its a very pleasant way to spend time on the water.  And if you have done your homework, you will likely out fish all your buddies while making it look easy. 

Offline lopezcador

• Yellow Eye
    • Lopezcador
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 09:49 PM »
KRYLON is the magic paint indeed, great details shared. thanks for sharing your mantra. it is all about chilling on the H2O. see u OTW.
Estero bay 2015- 10th place 2- fish cat.   Estero bay - 2016 1st place - cabby cat.

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 12:39 PM »
Hell yeah! That is badass.  That is a freaking sweet sled.  Nice work man

PRO Kayak Fishing

Wilderness Systems Pro Staff       Wildy Thresher 140
AT Paddles Pro Staff.                      Wildy Radar 135
ProKayakFishing.com Pro Staff
ACA Member

Offline Nakatack

• Tree Rockfish
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 05:45 PM »
Nice job on that little kayak! I use to use that thing years ago and it was bare bones I didnt even have a seat!
You turned that into a fishing machine Sweet!
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it.

Offline Zodiacker

• Another Capricorn
  • Yellow Eye
  • I Zod Out
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 06:15 PM »
Camo IS ammo!

I Zod Out

Becoming a better waterman and kayaker should be more of a target to focus on than catching fish. The fish will always be around, but will you?

Offline Sin Coast

• Lingcod
  • 64lbs of butt!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Awesome gift for your son! And the paintjob looks killer, thanks for the info on how to do it.