Author Topic: Warning to all new kayak Fishermen  (Read 10704 times)

Offline SteveR213

• Bluegill
Re: Warning to all new kayak Fishermen
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 07:20 PM »
Can't stress that enough.  Nice to meet you this morning by the way Glen. 

Had quite an experience this morning, and if it weren't for the 3 guys close to me, it would have ended up much worse.  Long story short, otter popped up right by me, wasn't paying attention to the swell, and got tossed.  I've taken this forum very seriously as far as safety goes. Took the yak out to the lake on a few occasions, and practiced falling out and getting back in.  Today on the other hand, I went into full panic mode and freaked instead of calming down and pulling myself together to get back in.  As much as i tried to get back in, it wasn't happening.  Took two guys together to help me get back on, and  after they called 911 (which had major issues by the way)  Tackle wise, it's mostly sitting nicely in place in Davey Jones locker.  Better part of $1100 gone.  Two rods and reels, crate loaded with tackle.  Mostly I'm just thankful the guys were there.  Not sure how things would have turned out otherwise.  Tackle can be replaced.  Lesson learned. 

Steve
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 07:28 PM by VanillaGorilla »
2015 Prowler BG2

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 07:28 PM »

Had quite an experience this morning, and if it weren't for the 3 guys close to me, it would have ended up much worse.  Long story short, otter popped up right by me, wasn't paying attention to the swell, and got tossed.  I've taken this forum very seriously as far as safety goes. Took the yak out to the lake on a few occasions, and practiced falling out and getting back in.  Today on the other hand, I went into full panic mode and freaked instead of calming down and pulling myself together to get back in.  As much as i tried to get back in, it wasn't happening.  Took two guys together to help me get back on, and  after they called 911 (which had major issues by the way)  Tackle wise, it's mostly sitting nicely in place in Davey Jones locker.  Better part of $1100 gone.  Two rods and reels, crate loaded with tackle.  Mostly I'm just thankful the guys were there.  Not sure how things would have turned out otherwise.  Tackle can be replaced.  Lesson learned. 

Another good lesson, glad all went well and just some lures and rods lost to Davey Jones.
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline GoBruins

• Sheephead
  • Outdoors > Indoors
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 08:44 AM »
The thing that i find most impressive about this group is that there is a lot of good karma here.

It would be easy to spend time criticizing and belittling people when things go sideways, but the theme here is that most people go out of their way to help people in need.

Good karma comes back to you in the end...
CamoAndAmmo .at. Outlook.com

Offline PJ

• Striper
  • Practice Catch and Release
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 11:57 AM »

Steve

I'm 99% sure how things would have turned out.  You would have had hypothermia in about 20-40 minutes.  Then you wouldn't have been able to use your limbs to keep you upright.  Probably wouldn't have been able to use your voice above a wisper a few minutes later.

Then you would have suffocated because you couldn't keep yourself upright, or drowned.  Little difference.  Your body would've washed up around Weirdos or Rosas.

Really guys????  $90 or your life???? 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:01 PM by PJ »
Personal Best 8'+ Thresher on 20lb Mono:)

Offline scooker213

• Camo hat and Camo Prowler 13T
  • Tree Rockfish
  • If you're having fun, you're living..
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 02:42 PM »
Steve ,  nice to have met you.  I was not aware that was you with the rescue.   I sure am glad that you made it out of the water and the guys helped you.  Also that you are okay for your family's sake.  :o