Author Topic: 2015 Outback front hatch leak  (Read 4788 times)

Offline MikeinFresno

• Sheephead
2015 Outback front hatch leak
« on: July 20, 2015, 11:05 AM »

I rolled over in the salt a couple of weeks ago, the yak was upside down for 3 min or so. It had several gals of water in it. I had the factory bucket in the front hatch and figured it leaked due to no seal between the plastic bucket and the hatch lid.

Just spent an hour practicing re-entry in my pool. I had removed the front factory add-on bucket so it would not leak as it had done last time. I had it rolled over about 7-10 times and a total of about 5 mins upside down. I noticed that it was rolling slowly side to side the last time a I got back on it. I checked and it had 4" deep water in the center hatch area when I looked in. I got it out and turned it upside down with the front elevated slightly to check for leaks. Very heavy, Im guessing 5 gals or so. I found slow dribbles from the control line holes. No major leaks. I let the front end down so the water would get up around the front hatch and the water poured out big time. So, Im estimating that it gets about a gal a minute, or more, thru the front hatch seal when upside down. I had thot the previous leak was due to the bucket in the front hatch, but it was not.

I will contact my dealer.

Link to Hobie thread    http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=55102

Offline lopezcador

• Yellow Eye
    • Lopezcador
Re: 2015 Outback front hatch leak
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 02:00 PM »
mike, good luck w/ this. hobie will make good. they have a great rep.
Estero bay 2015- 10th place 2- fish cat.   Estero bay - 2016 1st place - cabby cat.

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 02:48 PM »
Was this with the bucket in the hatch?

1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline MikeinFresno

• Sheephead
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 03:32 PM »
in the salt it was in, in my pool I removed it thinking that was the cause of the previous leak

Offline SeaWeed

• Go Seahawks
  • Thresher Shark
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 05:18 PM »
I don't think your suppose to invert hobie's they don't peddle well that way.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
Perception Swing, Prowler 15, Hobie Outback. Is Three Enough?

Offline Shogunofthecity

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 07:19 PM »
Is the front hatch a new design for 2015?  Because my hatch is just bungee cord tight and is far from waterproof as well.  I do know when I pierce waves in rough water with the bow, my front bin gets water in it and I have even filled it up to the overflowing point just in survival mode before.  I think until Hobie comes up with a new design with a functional latching system, this will always be a problem.  I have heard of similar problems with my friends Pro Anglers as well.  Personally, I believe it keeps the majority of the water out of the boat, and that is plenty good enough for me.  Once you get comfortable on the yak, I hope your days of rolling over are long behind you.  ;D

Now if someone can come up with an idea of keeping water from coming in my rudder line tubes?

Offline PacificViking

• Striper
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 09:14 PM »
I had this problem with my Hobie konna. I removed the hatch and o-ring and applied a liberal amount of marine silicone then reapplied the o-ring and  hatch after that my Hobie is almost air tight.

Offline MikeinFresno

• Sheephead
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 09:18 AM »
it appears to be the same design. It seems simple to solve to me...if the seal were made taller it would then seal against the plastic lid...but that would not work for the bucket when installed...it would need a lip for the bucket to tuck into so that it would leave rubber above it to seal to the lid....or, the seal could be made wider so that it seals against the outer edge of the plastic lid where it rolls over...seems sooo easy, wonder why they have not done it??

My problem with rolling over is due to my back issues and lack of flexibility to twist around when reaching back to grab gear. I rolled over one other time for the same reason about two years ago. I need to be more conscious of my center of gravity when reaching back...I just have to remember to turn side ways n hang my feet over the side to do it.

Offline PacificViking

• Striper
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 10:11 AM »
hmm. I don't know I have a twist seal hatch and the water was leaking under the entire hatch, not through the the opening in the hatch, but where the hatch sits on the plastic from the kayak. The twist seal part of the hatch is water tight.

Offline MikeinFresno

• Sheephead
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 10:47 AM »
Im going to investigate further as well. I will have the yak upright and put a hose to each hatch to confirm its not one of the others leaking. I believe it is the large front hatch held closed by the bungee due to others with the same complaint and Hobies admission that the webbing was cut short on the 2015. But I do need to confirm this for myself.

Offline SeaWeed

• Go Seahawks
  • Thresher Shark
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 03:18 PM »
Try Mc Master and Carr. that is where I bought seals for my daughter's Scupper pro not pricy at all. It will take a little while to understand their molded seals how they mount.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
Perception Swing, Prowler 15, Hobie Outback. Is Three Enough?

Offline MikeinFresno

• Sheephead
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 09:00 AM »
Well.....I contacted my dealer. Used blue grease to identify the areas of the hatch that did not make contact. It only makes contact at about 25% of the circumference. Took it to the dealer for them to see. Sent pics, etc. Im told that Hobie is saying," too bad , that's the way they are, they are not made to be water proof." Not acceptable.

Offline MikeinFresno

• Sheephead
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 04:18 PM »
Hobie has new employees that were doing the trimming and there were some training issues. It has been addressed. They have supplied a thicker seal to me. I will post when I test it in the pool.