Author Topic: Chumash Marine Sanctuary Proposed ( nothing to do with the tribe )  (Read 4106 times)

Offline SeaWeed

• Go Seahawks
  • Thresher Shark

Mark your calendar! It is important we attend in great numbers!
Share this information with your lists.

What:    Meeting re: Proposed Marine Sanctuary
When:   Wednesday, January 6th at 6:00pm
Where:  Veteran's Memorial Building in Morro Bay
Why:     This proposal virtually effects every aspect of our
              economy on the Central Coast!

2016 ACTION ALERT #1
AN URGENT MESSAGE FROM ANDY CALDWELL
PLEASE ATTEND JANUARY 6 MEETING!!
SPREAD THE WORD!

This Wednesday, January 6 at 6 pm, in Morro Bay at the Veterans Memorial building (209 Surf Street), a federal agency is holding a meeting on the proposed Chumash National Marine Sanctuary.  The first thing you need to know, despite the name, is that our local Santa Ynez Band of Chumash Indians have nothing to do with this proposal.   Second, the proposed sanctuary will affect both San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara County.  Finally, this proposal affects virtually every aspect of our economy including agriculture, energy, Vandenberg Air Force Base, and the potential for future desalinization plants.

Years ago, I stumbled across a movement known as the Wildlandís Project.  In essence, the goal of the plan was to preserve the wild by limiting any resource-based activities including farming, ranching, fishing, mining, housing and even recreation.  The ecological dim-witted purists behind the movement believe nature should be left alone.  Accordingly, they have used every trick in the book to preserve land, water, and air from human impacts and activities.  The most common tools are the Endangered Species Act, wilderness and marine sanctuary designations, the California Environmental Quality Act, so-called pollution regs (typically air and water that are impossible to comply with), smart growth policies, and finally, good old-fashioned bureaucratic obfuscation.

The results are in.  The campaign has been a tremendous success.  Most all of the land in the Western States is now under federal and state control and is off limits to mankindís ability to provide food, fiber, energy, and various other resources to our society.  Here on the Central Coast, more than half of the land is owned and controlled by the federal government and if this proposed marine sanctuary gets approved, the feds will also be in control of the ocean and most all of the private land that ostensibly abuts the sanctuary!

How does all this work?  Marine sanctuaries add a lot of red tape to any proposal that could remotely affect ocean water and ocean life.  This includes the runoff from a farm field 100 miles inland, the brine discharge from a desal plant, oil and gas operations, the warm seawater returned to the ocean from the Diablo Nuclear Power Plant, and get this, even the noise from a VAFB rocket launch and our military fleet, and of course fishing!  There is no end to the exaggerated impacts that could impact a marine sanctuary; the sky is literally the limit.

The world view of the organizations and people behind the wildlandís movement believe that the earth is sacred and mankind is evil.  They reject the notion that mankind has a right and duty to make wise use of the earthís resources for the benefit of mankind and the ecosystem.  Of course, in the meantime, these purists make wise use of the food, fiber, minerals and energy supplies they take for granted even as they try to shut down the industries that provide the same.  In essence, the project proponents are nothing less than hypocrites with a penchant for anarchy.

Andy Caldwell
COLAB

Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
Perception Swing, Prowler 15, Hobie Outback. Is Three Enough?

Offline PJ

• Striper
  • Practice Catch and Release
Re: Chumash Marine Sanctuary Proposed ( nothing to do with the tribe )
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 09:29 AM »
Funny, I actually attended an hour of this meeting for a few reasons.  One being that I thought it would be informative, enlightening & possibly even a little fun.

That was quickly dispelled after the higher-up from NOAA put up slide after slide after slide after slide about this committee, that committee & this board & that board, along with the boards from the coastal towns within the proposed Marine Sanctuary, which seem to meet in a manner that would require a flow chart just to have a basic understanding of the morass that all these boards & committees have to deal with and-or create.  I'm no government hater or anything like that but the amount of red tape that the guy explained made my head hurt.  He went on for 45 minutes.

The funny part was that explained the nomination process for a Marine Sanctuary, with these deadlines of 5 years, & what had to happen.  That went on for a good 5-10 minutes.  And at the end he says, "but we can extend the 5 year deadline another 5 years at any time".  Ok?  So what's the point of the 5 year deadline if you can extend it out of the clear blue sky?  He made a similar sort of off-based point about the MS boundaries & their possible extension.  I'm sure the irony was lost on him.

I was hoping he mispoke when he said something to the effect of "NOAA & the MS are are what bring us all-this together..."  I wanted to say, "un no buddy, THE OCEAN is what brings us all together, the ocean would still be there without you, we would still be here without you".  My point is that I do think that these guys try to create work for themselves by creating more studies, committee's, data, sanctuaries etc.  Of course all resources need to be managed, but the complexity & scope of the management has gotten a little out of control.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 09:34 AM by PJ »
Personal Best 8'+ Thresher on 20lb Mono:)

Offline lopezcador

• Leopard Shark
    • Lopezcador
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 09:07 PM »
Well written PJ.
Estero bay 2015- 10th place 2- fish cat.   Estero bay - 2016 1st place - cabby cat.

Offline Russ

• Sheephead
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 02:34 PM »
X2

Offline SeaWeed

• Go Seahawks
  • Thresher Shark
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 11:42 PM »
Dam I couldn't go there. Did they let people ask any questions?
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Offline PJ

• Striper
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 01:06 PM »

Yes, but I left long before that started.  Apparently that meeting wasn't one that was geared towards public input.  The Public Input meeting is meeting #386 on the docket of meetings scheduled.  Joking of course, but there will be a meeting centered on public input should the CMS go into another stage of the red tape.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 11:12 PM by PJ »

Offline SeaWeed

• Go Seahawks
  • Thresher Shark
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 12:15 AM »

Yes, but I left long before that started.  Apparently that meeting wasn't one that was geared towards public input.  The Public Input meeting is meeting #386 on the docket of meeting scheduled.  Joking of course, but there will be a meeting centered on public input should the CMS go into another stage of the red tape.

THX

Offline PJ

• Striper
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 11:12 PM »
Post Script,

Recent case in point - Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary.  Not necessarily an attempted expansion of boundaries, but an attempted expansion of species under NOAA's control within a current sanctuary area.

http://khon2.com/2016/01/27/noaa-abandons-plan-to-expand-humpback-whale-national-marine-sanctuary/

Again it seems like these guys have the ability to create work for themselves at will.  I.e, expand boundaries, extend deadlines of nominations, expand list of species under their control, etc. etc. etc.

Anyone here want to put money on the fact that they'll increase their payroll indefinitely???  Something tells me they'll never try to reduce their workload, no matter where technology leads us.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 11:15 PM by PJ »