Author Topic: New to group  (Read 1948 times)

Offline GoBruins

• Sheephead
  • Outdoors > Indoors
New to group
« on: June 22, 2016, 04:51 PM »
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to kayak fishing (about 1 year), and I've done most of my fishing in So Cal.

I'd like to try some rockfishing near San Simeon. I was looking at San Simeon Campground, but it looks a tad crowded. Are there other campsites that are somewhat nearby?

Thanks in advance,

Gianni

CamoAndAmmo .at. Outlook.com

Offline GoBruins

• Sheephead
  • Outdoors > Indoors
Re: New to group
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 04:55 PM »
As an aside, is there a trick to catching the Vermillion Rockfish? YouTube videos seem to suggest that catching the various brown rockfish is pretty common, but I'm hoping to catch a Vermillion.

Offline Imhooked

• Sanddab
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 07:21 PM »
I have found them between 100 and 200 feet while on charter. I'm pretty new to fishing from a kayak though so I can't say for sure about any tricks or tips. Welcome to the group and hope to see you out there.
-Milton

Offline Ryanimpreza

• Lingcod
  • Pro kayak fishing / realistic wraps prostaff
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 07:45 PM »
I have found them between 100 and 200 feet while on charter. I'm pretty new to fishing from a kayak though so I can't say for sure about any tricks or tips. Welcome to the group and hope to see you out there.
ya that's correct but recently we have been landing them shallow, like 45-80 ft. The trick is get out there and drop a line, if you find you are not getting what you want then just keep moving till you find what you are looking for. You will get a feel for where there are at quick.
2015 red hobie outback
Instagram.........ryanimpreza
3rd place 2015 AOTY
2nd place 2016 AOTY

Offline lopezcador

• Yellow Eye
    • Lopezcador
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 10:09 PM »
So I am assuming you are a UCLA grad. ????
Estero bay 2015- 10th place 2- fish cat.   Estero bay - 2016 1st place - cabby cat.

Offline GoBruins

• Sheephead
  • Outdoors > Indoors
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 08:50 AM »
Thanks for all of your replies. I'm the proud uncle of a wonderful niece who just graduated from UCLA!

So if i'm reading the responses correctly, it seems the Reds prefer water that's a little deeper than the other rockfish. I'll target water that's a little deeper, and keep moving until i find them. Is there a particular bait/lure that the Reds prefer?

Btw, my Avatar photo was taken at Leffingwell landing. After taking that picture, i realized that the rockfishing must be pretty good over there. I'm still looking for a campsite that isn't quite as "busy" as SS State Park Campground.

Offline waterstrider

• Spotted Bass
    • Its what we use on the water
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 06:14 AM »
I like to use red swim baits or red feathers for vermillion. they are deeper than most rockfish also.
tight lines and welcome to fishing the pacific. you can find me at central coast kayaks in shell beach if you need anything.
-tom

[/quote]

Offline Derrick A2H

• Addicted2theHook
  • Administrator
  • Halibut
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 01:41 PM »
Welcome man, as far as reds go it just depends where the school is i like to start to look out in 120+ But ive had some great days in the 30-60fow as well. If theres 1 there are normally more.