Author Topic: Hobie Mirage Turbo  (Read 2832 times)

Offline michaelfish

• Rainbow Trout
  • go fish
Hobie Mirage Turbo
« on: September 10, 2016, 05:57 PM »
I recently picked up a couple Outbacks and I'm working on upgrades at the moment. I've heard a lot about the sailing rudder and turbo fins, any thoughts on the subject? The sailing rudder is not a big investment but the turbo fins are $130 that I'd probably rather put towards a new bait tank...

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
Re: Hobie Mirage Turbo
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 08:47 PM »
I would say espcially on the central coast the fins are the best investment. Bank tank is not a daily trip use thing on the central coast. Its nice for some trips down south but even do not use it every trip down there.
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline michaelfish

• Rainbow Trout
  • go fish
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 10:24 AM »
Thanks Ryan- Bait tank would be strictly for Halibut in the Bay area and YT down south.

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 10:53 AM »
Thanks Ryan- Bait tank would be strictly for Halibut in the Bay area and YT down south.

Then, fins would be the better investment to start with.

Offline MikeinFresno

• Sheephead
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 12:08 PM »
yep, every time you use the yak u will use the turbos

Offline Ryanimpreza

• Lingcod
  • Pro kayak fishing / realistic wraps prostaff
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 12:38 PM »

Then, fins would be the better investment to start with.
i agree, fins and rudder to me are a must. I dust my bait tank off maybe two to three times a year but I use my rudder and fins always.
2015 red hobie outback
Instagram.........ryanimpreza
3rd place 2015 AOTY
2nd place 2016 AOTY

Offline michaelfish

• Rainbow Trout
  • go fish
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 05:05 PM »
Didn't really mean to compare bait tanks to fins. What type of max speed are you guys getting with your turbo fins? I'm currently at about five mph (by gps) with the factory fins on flat water, no wind, fully loaded. A guy at a local shop said the turbos would give me approximately 10-15% more speed. Does that seem accurate? Do they perform significantly better in rough conditions or something? I'm having trouble understanding why the install is worth less than .5 mph...

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 03:41 AM »
Didn't really mean to compare bait tanks to fins. What type of max speed are you guys getting with your turbo fins? I'm currently at about five mph (by gps) with the factory fins on flat water, no wind, fully loaded. A guy at a local shop said the turbos would give me approximately 10-15% more speed. Does that seem accurate? Do they perform significantly better in rough conditions or something? I'm having trouble understanding why the install is worth less than .5 mph...

Its more long term use and fatigue if your going all day, especially if you get into water with a head wind. I used the stabdard ST fins for about a year and did not think it would make a difference man was I wrong.

Offline fishlips

• Canary
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 08:55 AM »
I have used both fins. The difference in the fins to me is like gears on a bike. You can go faster with turbo fins but requires more effort, slower cadence. Comes down to personal preference. The only true magic potion to more speed and endurance is a motor. Wattage is wattage and a  motor electric or gas wins every time.

Offline fishlips

• Canary
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 09:00 AM »
I prefer turbo fins

Offline michaelfish

• Rainbow Trout
  • go fish
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 09:10 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll go for the turbo fin and sailing rudder. Tight lines