Author Topic: Tarpon 140 vs. prowler 13  (Read 3304 times)

Offline surfcookpray

• Crappie
  • CCKF Lifestyle
Tarpon 140 vs. prowler 13
« on: October 21, 2016, 11:03 AM »
from what I can sell this seems to be a fairly evenly debated topic and I happen to find myself in it I am looking to purchase my first kayak for ocean fishing local.  and I have the option of a tarpon 140 and a prowler 13 neither of which have a rudder, and the prowler is $100 less than the tarpon I am torn on these two and am hoping y'all can provide some opinions.
Thanks,

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
  • PRO Kayak Fishing - "We know kayak fishing!"
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
Re: Tarpon 140 vs. prowler 13
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 11:38 AM »
Both are good boats that have been around for a long time with good track records. Are these used or new? Do either of them come with any extras or just the kayak itself? What are the prices and condition?

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff 
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Radar 135 Pedal Drive
Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Shop local and help support the businesses that support you all year long.

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 11:57 AM »
Both are great kayaks. Depends on how big you are. I felt tippy in a tarpon 140 a couple years ago compared to the prowler when it was my ride.

Which Tarpon and Prowler are they cause both companies have grown leaps and bounds the last couple years.

But to answer your question, I would go take a look at both in person before making the choice. If you fall in love with one over the other then that should be your yak. Take it out in the bay and flip it a couple times and learn to get back on and all.

RH
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline surfcookpray

• Crappie
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 05:20 PM »
both are in good shape the tarpon is $600 the prowler is $450. Not sure which prowler it is it has three stow hatches and rudder pedals. looks like it has the rod length stow hatch so you can stick your whole rod in the hold.

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
  • PRO Kayak Fishing - "We know kayak fishing!"
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 07:38 PM »
Without any other extras and for $150 less I'd probably get the prowler. The Tarpon is probably a little faster than the prowler but you'll sacrifice a little bit of stability for it. I doubt the sellers will let you test them out so I would just base my decision on overall condition. Make sure you examine them really well especially looking for cracks around the scuppers.

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff 
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Radar 135 Pedal Drive
Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Shop local and help support the businesses that support you all year long.

Offline Big_Mac

• Striper
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 10:24 PM »
Here is my 2. I am a huge fan of the OK brand. I have dealt with their customer service a couple of times regarding specialty parts only made for the Ultra and I have not been disappointed. For the purposes of ocean fishing I would choose stability over speed any day. If we were all worried about speed we wouldn't weigh down our kayaks with all the gear we carry on any given fishing trip. I also think that you won't be disappointed with with either brand when it comes to the speed aspect. (equal)

Something I don't like about the prowler is the foot rests. All of those ridges on either side look like they would drive me a little crazy over time. The Tarpon looks like it doesn't have that issue. It has the adjustable foot rests that look like they can be easily swapped out for a rudder upgrade. (advantage: Tarpon)

How are the seats in both of the kayaks you are looking at? The Tarpon looks like it has adjustable seating. I can tell you that my OK Ultra has (what OK considers to be) the upgraded seating. It's comfortable for the first couple of hours....after that I find myself clinching and relaxing my butt muscles in an effort to restore blood circulation. In other words... sit in both of them. You are going to spend several hours at a time in the thing...it might as well be comfortable. (advantage: Tarpon if it has the phase 3 seating)

Does either kayak have slide rails? I believe the Tarpon had them as standard fare. If the prowler has them they were added aftermarket. If they were added aftermarket you will have to deal with some sharp edges on the railing. The Tarpon should have them recessed into the hull. (advantage Tarpon)

Weight.... Tarpon is 70lbs while the Prowler is 56lbs. I know it's only 14 lbs, but sometimes it makes a difference when you are car topping or dragging your kayak to the water. (advantage: Prowler)

Summary: It looks like the Tarpon has some advantages over the Prowler. What really matters is how you feel when you are paddling them. Since you are buying the kayaks used I would also take a look at what was mentioned in an earlier post. Check out the scuppers and rigging. Have there been any repairs made? If there were repairs made, were they done the right way? Sun damage? Sun damage is a biggie. When polyethylene gets faded it becomes brittle.

Good luck with your purchase!

I love fishing.  You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end.  Your imagination is under there.  ~Robert Altman

Offline Big_Mac

• Striper
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 10:40 PM »
After looking through your post I' a little confused. You mentioned 3 hatches and "rudder pedals. Are you looking at an OK Trident Prowler 13? Or just a Prowler 13. If it's the Trident series you are a little better off. The center storage is nice to have to not only keep your rods but tackle as well. The adjustable foot rests are also better then the molded in type.  I'm leaning towards the Prowler for your purchase.
I love fishing.  You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end.  Your imagination is under there.  ~Robert Altman

Offline billydog

• Salmon
  • lets go fishing
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 11:16 PM »
I have RHYAKS old prowler t 13 I love it ive been in surf gone threw it is a sweet yak when I buy my new yak it will be the same model. as for the one in fishing in now I have a cosco stadium seat that fit nice 5 hrs no problem thanks to zod helping   
when im on the water im free lake ocean river its all good

Offline surfcookpray

• Crappie
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 07:40 PM »
I think its the ProwlerT13. it has the three hatches and rudder pedals but still says Prowler on the side. I went down on saturday and looked at both. But after the guy with the prowler dropped the price to 4 bills it made my choice easier. Though I still feel I would have taken the ocean kayak over the Trapon. Looking forward to start rigging it up in the off season, and start finding my spot for next years tournament!

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 09:35 PM »
Lets see some pictures.

RH
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2