Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Dadeeoo

• Anchovy
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« on: March 06, 2017, 01:41 PM »
Hello all,

I just wanted to introduce myself to the board and get a few suggestions from those more experienced in kayak fishing.  After seeing pictures and video of everyone's time on the water it has motivated me to adventure out of the lakes and streams and give this a try.

A couple of years ago I started fishing out of an Ocean Kayak Big Game I found on craigslist. Really enjoyed it but it seemed like every time I took the kayak out it would developed another crack that I need to repair. It was an older boat that spent its life as a rental. Not something I felt I should paddle out too far from shore so I was limited to lakes and sheltered bays. So, this year I am retiring the old boat and bought the Jackson Kraken 15.5 Pro.

I can't wait to get out on the salt water so any pointers would be very appreciated. I need to expand my gear for fishing the area as well. What rod and real combo would be a good starting point. It looks like some good first buys would be jigs and swim baits. What colors and size would you recommend? I have the basics like VHF, GPS, PFD, wetsuit and leashes, What are some other ďmust havesĒ.

Iím located in Bakersfield so probably going to spend most of my time fishing from Morrow Bay to San Simeon. Anyone else in Bakersfield? Hit me up, well split the gas. Hopefully my Kraken shows up in time for April 1st. If It does, I plan on going out of Leffingwell that Saturday. Anyone else headed out from Leffingwell that weekend? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Iím really excited for this season and hopefully meeting many of you on the water.

Cheers, Rick

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 02:18 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, tons of Valley guys on here.

Swing by the Fred Hall Show this weekend over at the fairgrounds.
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 08:46 PM »
Welcome Aboard Rick,
jigs and swim baits are good bets.  rod and reel combo really comes down to personal peference.  a lot of different options will work well out there.  I personally like to fish 7 to 8 foot  trigger sticks with low profile baitcasters.  you will gets tons of different opinions on that topic.  go with what's in your budget and what's feels right.  Like Ryan said swing by Fred hall this weekend if you can.  lot's of good info and gear available. 

Andy

PRO Kayak Fishing

Wilderness Systems Pro Staff       Wildy Thresher 140
AT Paddles Pro Staff.                      Wildy Radar 135
ProKayakFishing.com Pro Staff
ACA Member

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
  • PRO Kayak Fishing - "We know kayak fishing!"
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 10:29 PM »
Welcome to the site Rick! You've come to the right place for information and a great group of Fishermen! If you have questions, search the forum or ask the group. See you out there!

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff 
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Radar 135 Pedal Drive
Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Shop local and help support the businesses that support you all year long.

Offline Derrick A2H

• Addicted2theHook
  • Administrator
  • Halibut
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 08:00 PM »
Welcome to the group

Offline Big_Mac

• Vermillion
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 08:28 PM »
Welcome!
I love fishing.  You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end.  Your imagination is under there.  ~Robert Altman

Offline mxnocean

• Catfish
  • saltwater junkie
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 09:49 PM »
Welcome to an awesome group of fisher men and woman.  Make sure you bring a fishing net!!! At least 18 inches wide at the widest point.
Doing what you like is freedom, liking what you do is happiness

Offline Zwaterman

• Sanddab
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 04:16 AM »
Hello and Welcome..
I am new to the group as well. There is a ton of good info on this forum. If your ever looking for someone to go out with ....this is the place. and I live in the Cuyama Valley so I am not far from Bakersfield. Just shoot me a message if you want someone to fish with locally or out in the ocean.
Zach
Do you like to fish on little plastic boats? Ok we can be friends!

Offline SteveR213

• Bluegill
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 09:53 AM »
Same here, i'm in B-town as well.  Shoot me a PM and we'll set something up.  Think there's a couple guys from Tulare/Visalia we could possibly meet up with as well. 
2015 Prowler BG2

Offline Str8shooter

• Surf Perch
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 08:06 PM »
Another Bako boy here! Still learning the ropes after starting out last year with a few outings from MDO and Leffingwell.  Would like to give Isabella or Success a try one of these days.
2016 Hobie PA14

Offline SteveR213

• Bluegill
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 08:27 PM »
Another Bako boy here! Still learning the ropes after starting out last year with a few outings from MDO and Leffingwell.  Would like to give Isabella or Success a try one of these days.

Count me in for a trip to Isabella.  I've been wanting to get up there and paddle around since it filled back up. 
2015 Prowler BG2

Offline justpaulwilliamsjr

• Largemouth Bass
  • Instagram @justpaulwilliamsjr
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 08:24 AM »
Welcome to the group, see you OTW!
You Tube- "Above the Hook" Co-Founder
ProKayak Fishing- Pro Staff
RealisticWraps- Pro Staff

Offline LoneCat

• Surf Perch
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 09:31 AM »
I'm in Bakersfield too but I mainly fish freshwater for bass, crappie & stripers. Anytime you or the other local guys want to get together at one of the local lakes like Isabella, Success, Castaic lagoon, etc. let me know. I'm also looking for some fly fishing partners to hit up the Kern river including backpacking into the golden trout wilderness this spring/summer.
2016 Hobie PA 12
Feelfree Moken 10 Angler