Author Topic: Kayaker Rescued at MDO 4-1-17  (Read 5789 times)

Offline Gotya

• Sheephead
  • Practice Catch and Release
Re: MDO kayaker on cliff
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 08:40 PM »
was there anyone else with him. What happened to his kayak/gear.

Offline StuManChu

• Anchovy
  • CCKF Lifestyle
Re: Kayaker Rescued at MDO 4-1-17
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 04:42 PM »
Iíve been meaning to chime in on this but havenít had time until now, as this is going to be a long read. It was our group involved with this, my son being the one who was helped by the coast guard and emergency responders. There were 5 in our group, 3 of us with multiple trips out of MDO and 2 with no ocean experience, my son being one of them.

Launches went smooth, but the water was very rough, and became hellish between the points of the cove with large swells coming from the front, left and right. Once we got through that, it was pretty consistent with swells coming from the northwest. At that point one of our group peeled off due to seasickness and headed back to shore.

We paddled out to 100ft and started to fish, when my son was starting to feel sick despite taking 2 Dramamine earlier in the morning and wanted to head back. I felt good how he handled himself going out, had a quick talk with him how to get back in, and let him go. 30 minutes later I started hearing sirens on the bluff and a few minutes later heard the coast guard hail that there was a man in the water at MDO.

At this point while I didnít know exactly what was going on, I started heading in, and started dialogue with the CG to try and get specific details about who was in the water. Within minutes there was a boat at my location trying to get me the information I needed, which was no easy task as there was conflicting information coming from multiple locations. After a few minutes the news came in that there was a man in a blue life jacked who was ok but stuck on the rocks. I was relieved he was ok, but he wasnít out of the woods yet so I paddled the rest of the way in. By the time I got to the bluff he was already there and it was a relief to see him.

So what happened? After talking with him about it, he did exactly what I said to do, and paddled up the middle. Unfortunately the swells pushed him south, and in too close to the south point, where he got hit by a wave and knocked out of his yak. He was unable to locate the yak, and quickly decided to get to shore. When I went back to shore, I paddled towards Morro until the I got to the northern point, and then started in towards that point knowing I would end up in the middle of the cove once I got close enough.

Lessons learned.

Regardless of how long a drive it is to get to the coast, itís ok not to go out on the water, especially after seeing locals pull up and then leave due to the conditions. Have a Plan B, even if itís just chasing bass at a local lake. Itís not worth someone getting hurt or killed, and the ocean has been swallowing up big egos as long as man has been around.

If you take someone out for their first time, you own them, and if they want/need to get back to shore, it is your responsibility to get them back safely, as you have the experience they do not have. You may have to give up fishing that day, but so be it.

Fishing Report

The 2 guys in our group that did get to fish got a 24Ē ling and a nice copper, but were drifting hard to the south so they fished for 5 minutes and paddled for 20 min north at a time. Too much paddling and too little fishing. They headed back to shore at 11.

And lastly, there are no words I can type to express my gratitude to the Coast Guard and Emergency responders who were at the scene. Their professionalism was on full display during this time. If any of them happen to read this, a sincere Thank You from my wife and I for saving our son.

Offline H2joe

• Tree Rockfish
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 09:41 AM »
If you take someone out for their first time, you own them, and if they want/need to get back to shore, it is your responsibility to get them back safely, as you have the experience they do not have. You may have to give up fishing that day, but so be it.
X1000

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 12:02 PM »
Stumanchu,

Thanks for giving your feedback on this situation. We are all glad your son made it back onto the beach uninjured and able to live another day.

Regardless of how long a drive it is to get to the coast, itís ok not to go out on the water, especially after seeing locals pull up and then leave due to the conditions. Have a Plan B, even if itís just chasing bass at a local lake. Itís not worth someone getting hurt or killed, and the ocean has been swallowing up big egos as long as man has been around.

I think this quote is just as important as the one h2hoe highlighted, know your limits and your crews limits and dont come close to pushing them for some rockfish...

1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 02:12 PM »
Thank you for posting your story.  Some hard lessons learned in a scary way, but much respect for reflecting on the lessons learned and sharing with us for the benefit of other angler's.

PRO Kayak Fishing

Wilderness Systems Pro Staff       Wildy Thresher 140
                                                            Wildy Radar 135
ProKayakFishing.com fishing team
ACA Member

Offline PJ

• Striper
  • Practice Catch and Release
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 09:09 AM »
You can use a GPS to chart your track in & out.  Your surroundings can look completely different going in, than they did going out - thus causing you to not now where you are.  Currents, swells, tide all affect this.

Several times in good surf, I've closely followed my track back in, and been surprised to see that I wasn't where I thought I was.  GPS doesn't lie.  It's a sure-fire way to be in the right spot & avoid a situation like this.
Personal Best 8'+ Thresher on 20lb Mono:)

Offline GoBruins

• Sheephead
  • Outdoors > Indoors
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 10:01 AM »
Thanks so much for posting the story - it says a lot about your character. A lot of people wouldn't have had the guts to post a story like that.

I know I learned a lot just from reading the story.
CamoAndAmmo .at. Outlook.com

Offline Suckafish

• Cabazon
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 07:45 AM »
Hey Stu, thanks for posting what happened. Scary story. Glad it ended well.   I know what it's like to drive all the way to the coast and have the conditions be less than optimal.  It sucks... I camp at MDO regularly and have reluctantly scratched a few days of fishing while sitting on the shore either waiting for someone to show that I can paddle out with or having the locals say "nope, not today."   From what I have gathered in my limited experience there, MDO can be a very deceiving place... while the cove offers some protection from the currents and surf, things are not always as they appear.  I have learned to check my ego at the beach and listen to those that know way better than me... I have chatted for hours with many of the guys on this forum trying to learn from them but it can be overwhelming.  It is especially hard for us guys that only make it over there a handful of times a year. 
The grass isn't greener on the other side...It's greener where you water it.

Jackson Big Tuna-Earth
Eddyline Caribbean 12

Offline CaboBob (aka squawfish)

• Lingcod
Re: MDO kayaker on cliff
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 07:47 AM »
the problem is forget to practice re entery as in back on your kayak and no Buddy system happy we all made it safe
Good point Billy. Having a radio is always a good idea too.
Orange Hobie Outback