Author Topic: Whats your go to rig for lings and rockfish  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Scott

• Seagull
  • CCKF Lifestyle
Whats your go to rig for lings and rockfish
« on: April 07, 2017, 12:42 AM »
Still new to the kayak and ocean fishing scene so figured id ask around. only been out twice, both times at leff. i have just been using squid and mackerel on a bottom rig. tried hex bars but no luck. So that being said, whats everyone using? what should i throw to target lings? target rockfish? Thanks in advance

Online bottom feeder

• Steelhead
Re: Whats your go to rig for lings and rockfish
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 12:28 PM »
Try some Big Hammerstein. They work well.

Offline Gotya

• Cabazon
  • Practice Catch and Release
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 04:05 PM »
I use a varity of swim baits, your local bait store sell them in different sizes and colors. I stay with the 6 inches with led head.

Offline Scott

• Seagull
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 04:18 PM »
thanks ill try that. i was told about hex bars and octopus jigs but $10 a pop and all i caught was kelp lol. ill try the swim baits. i picked up some big hammer the other day, hopefully weather calms down and i can go back out

Offline Russ

• Sheephead
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 07:57 PM »
I go with the 12oz hex bar every now & then. I like a large single hook on it with a good 6+" live mackerel or sardine on it. Keeps the small by-catch off usually. At $10 a pop, it's nice to get on sale!  :P

Offline Crazyhook

• The soaker
  • Spotted Bass
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 09:05 PM »
I think it's more of locations, structures and how you use what you have plus knowing where on the water level they are. I've caught lingcod on a simple flatfall jig to the biggest kastmaster with a white tail to jigheads with bait/soft plastic. But rockfish don't care what it is as long as it can fit in their mouth but it's in speed of jigging and how deep you are jigging. I've caught rockfish with my jig sitting still but in the strike zone. Like Wednesday I went out used what I know works but I wasn't in the right spot so just because it works doesn't mean you'll pull it up. Location location location but this is just me.

Oh yeah know your fish and where in the water level they will be at will help you target the species you want to catch.
Soaking my bait and no need to wait, bam bam fish on!

Offline Big_Mac

• Vermillion
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 09:53 PM »
Like crazyhook said.... It depends on a number of things. It's really hard to keep it as simple as a "go-to" rig. But......if I were to only have the option of only taking 2 rigs with me out of Leff it would have to be a simple dropper loop with squid and a 5 or 6 oz P Line Laser Minnow (black and silver).
The bottom line is, if you ask 10 people the same question you will get 10 different answers. The fish we target are not that picky. Just start to try different setups and find what you are the most comfortable and confident in.
I love fishing.  You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end.  Your imagination is under there.  ~Robert Altman

Offline Scott

• Seagull
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 04:39 PM »
yeah i agree, location matters. working on a fishfinder with gps to help while im out there. only been out there twice. i used squid on a dropper rig but only got few bites all day while i hear people where limiting out and some catching 15+ lings all day.  im very new to this so im sure its 100% just me lol

Offline Crazyhook

• The soaker
  • Spotted Bass
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 06:36 PM »
Follow the kayaks, if everyone is at one spot just go there and join in while meeting new people. But ask if it's ok to butt in and join of course. Some days the rockfish bite so good I don't even care for it and some days it's a chase to get limit even at your hot spots. I say if your not sure what to aim for do a 4oz leadhead with your choice of bait/soft plastic and tie a smaller hook with a curly tail grub 2ft above. You're bound to catch any size fish. If you see me out there fell free to join along.
Soaking my bait and no need to wait, bam bam fish on!

Offline Big_Mac

• Vermillion
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 02:09 AM »
Also.....Not all fish are on the bottom. I was catching reds last week at 20' in 80' of water. A decent FF helps!
I love fishing.  You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end.  Your imagination is under there.  ~Robert Altman

Offline PJ

• Striper
  • Practice Catch and Release
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 06:57 AM »
IMHO nearly anything will work if it's put in the right spot.  A few years back, like 6 or 7, a bunch of NCKA guys were making Ling jigs out of knives.  The kind of knife you would see on the table at a Denny's - just your run of the mill standard table knife.  They would cut the handle off, drill a hole in one end & bammo, instant Ling jig.  They were catching fish with them & posting to see who could get the best fish on a homemade jig.

I bought a bunch of cheap knives back when this was going on, but never got around to making jigs with them.  Might try it.

Some other guys were making jigs out of rebar.  And catching Lings with them.  It's on the net somewhere.  Pretty funny.
Personal Best 8'+ Thresher on 20lb Mono:)

Offline RipTide aka Cor-Dawg

• Yellow Eye
  • Get Some Action!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 11:49 AM »
I've been making my own jigs while I'm waiting to get out on the water.
I poured my own lead heads, had a buddy powder coat them for me, and started customizing them.
«˘obra ° ˘ommanders» ™
8th place in CCSD-IV
*RipTide* 2006 21'20 Parker

Offline RipTide aka Cor-Dawg

• Yellow Eye
  • Get Some Action!
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 11:50 AM »
Mega glow!
«˘obra ° ˘ommanders» ™
8th place in CCSD-IV
*RipTide* 2006 21'20 Parker