Author Topic: Rail Systems  (Read 1095 times)

Offline BigJacobus

• Anchovy
  • CCKF Lifestyle
Rail Systems
« on: April 07, 2017, 09:11 AM »
If I put rails on my kayak, does that make it tactical?   ;D ;D ;D

But seriously there seems to be a few systems to use out there.  Is one used more than others?  Are they universal between types at all?  I want to do two 12 inch runs on the sides for future gear and camera's.   

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
  • PRO Kayak Fishing - "We know kayak fishing!"
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
Re: Rail Systems
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 09:27 AM »
The only real considerations are what you're mounting. If you are just mounting cameras or a fishfinder, basically anything that isn't going to have stress put on it, then the composite plastic rails are fine and will save you money.

If you are mounting rod holder and especially if you plan to troll with a rod in those holders then you will want to go with the aluminum rails.

My personal opinion is to put on aluminum rails then you can mount anything you want without worryingly my if it will hold.

I think the Yakattack products are used more than any other and are universal. Some other track systems and their accessories are brand specific like the FeelFree products for example. The only other consideration is if your kayak has flat or rounded sides. Obviously if they are flat you can use just about any track system. If they are rounded like the early Ocean Kayaks, early Vibes, etc. then you will either have to offset flat tracks to a flat area or find curved gear tracks to sit correctly on top of the rail.

Hope that helps,

Eric

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff 
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Radar 135 Pedal Drive
Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Shop local and help support the businesses that support you all year long.

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 02:49 PM »
Agree with Eric and have to say the YakAttack is hard to beat. Have been using those gear tracks for the last couple years and very universal, from rod holders to camera mounts and even Fish finders can be tossed on those tracks.

https://www.prokayakfishing.com/collections/accessories-3/products/yakattack-gtsl90-geartrac-8-black

I go with both the 8inch or 12inch depending on where I am tossing the thing on the yak, but hard to beat the 8inch for the price.

Ryan

1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline SteveR213

• Bluegill
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 03:28 PM »
I have about 4 of those Yak Attack tracks on mine that Ryan posted and have never had an issue. My Big Game 2 also has mounting plates just for these things.  The aluminum ones are a bit more expensive, but like he said they'll hold up to just about everything. Of course the longer the attachment, the more stress on the rail itself. That's just leverage and physics.
2015 Prowler BG2

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 09:19 PM »
Agree with the yak attack and go aluminum if you can.  Also I really like to be able to mount them with bolts and nuts vs. just the screws into plastic.  Like Eric said if it is just a small camera mount or a fishfinder  and you cant reach in the hull behind the track then no biggie, but for rod holders and such, the bolt through is more stout.

PRO Kayak Fishing

Wilderness Systems Pro Staff       Wildy Thresher 140
AT Paddles Pro Staff.                      Wildy Radar 135
ProKayakFishing.com Pro Staff
ACA Member