Author Topic: Simply Fishing Kayak Tournament Sept 23  (Read 605 times)

Offline SuperVato

• Lizardfish
  • "all men are equal before fish"
Simply Fishing Kayak Tournament Sept 23
« on: August 09, 2017, 11:30 AM »
 I want to bring to everyone's attention, tournament director par excellence Ruben Ledesma aka "fishkraft" 's fun and extremely well run annual tournament is coming up September 23rd at the picturesque and convenient Ocean Cove campground;registration is now open https://www.simplyfishingtournament.com/
From the tournament website :

"The theme of the tournament is simplicity... old school kayak fishing. Nothin' fancy, just the angler and his/her gear, testing their skills.

This year, by popular demand, We have added a fly fishing/rockfish division. Just as the conventional/lingcod division is won by catching the heaviest LINGCOD, the fly fishing/rockfish division will be won by cathcing the heaviest ROCKFISH. You may only compete in one division. All other rules are the same.

In keeping with the theme I'm gonna level the playing field by limiting each angler to one rod and reel and four lures or flys (provided), everyone in each division fishes the same three lures or flys, no bait, no scents.  No mechanized propulsion systems, no sails, no fish finders, no GPS, just a kayak, a paddle, a fishing rod, landing gear and safety equipment

$500 for heaviest conventionally caught lingcod, $500 for heaviest fly caught rockfish 9/23/17
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:00 PM by SuperVato »

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
  • PRO Kayak Fishing - "We know kayak fishing!"
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
Re: Simply Fishing Kayak Tournament Sept 23
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 04:57 PM »
Thanks for posting this Amos. ProKayakFishing is proud to be one of this years lead sponsors for the Simply Fishing Tournament.

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff 
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Radar 135 Pedal Drive
Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Offline SuperVato

• Lizardfish
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 11:23 AM »
 Absolutely Eric!  I will monitor this post and answer questions.
          -Anos

Offline Zodiacker

• Another Capricorn
  • Steelhead
  • I Zod Out
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 01:26 PM »
4 from CCKF headed north to the Sonoma Coast north of Jenner from 7/23 returned until 7/25 2017. The we headed to Mendocino Coast.

Here are some pics from Ocean Cove.

Looking north from the cleaning station

Looking south

Some fish caught that day

I entered this great tournament last year in 2016 and can say it was fun, fun, fun! Kudos to the organizers. I won't be going this year, but maybe(?) next year (crossing fingers). Go if/when you can.

I Zod Out
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:24 PM by Zodiacker »
Becoming a better waterman and kayaker should be more of a target to focus on than catching fish. The fish will always be around, but will you?

Offline Gotya

• Spotted Bass
  • Practice Catch and Release
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 09:51 PM »
Been to Simply Fishing couple of times. Lots of fun. Everyone gets 3 lures. Great bunch of people to fish with. Great camp site.  This is one tournament that I look forward to. Great pictures George. Had fun fishing with you and Paul.

Offline FlyYaker

• "My biggest worry is my wife (when I'm dead) will try to sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it..."
  • Cabazon
  • Get off the couch. Lets go!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 10:39 PM »
I am going this year, hoping to meet some other kayak fly fishermen.
Scott K.
Custom Kraken 15.5 Elite
Grey Cobra F&D
Urban Camo Predator 13
Grey Cobra XL (Leaks from the bite marks)
Channel 68

Offline Gotya

• Spotted Bass
  • Practice Catch and Release
Simply Fishing
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 04:41 PM »
Heading up to Ocean Cove Thursday, (Simply Fishing tournament)  spending about 3 days up there.  Anyone else going?

Offline SuperVato

• Lizardfish
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 01:47 PM »
I will arrive Friday, fishing was pretty good last weekend I caught my PB Verm of over 22' on a 4 oz. iron in chrome and blue, slightly south of the cove in 85 fow see you there!