Author Topic: Lowrance Hook 5 turning off unexpectedly  (Read 231 times)

Offline adamr

• Lizardfish
  • Practice Catch and Release
Lowrance Hook 5 turning off unexpectedly
« on: November 26, 2017, 07:55 PM »
Past two times I have been out on the water my Lowrance Hook 5 FF has shut off after an hour to three hours. I am able to turn it back on, sometimes staying on for another thirty minutes to an hour and sometimes only five to ten minutes. I have it hooked up to the Nocqua 10ah Pro Power Battery. Both the FF and battery are less than a year old.

After doing a little research on the internet, I have a feeling it has to do with the voltage possibly going low on the battery. It sounds like the Lowrance FF may have a setting where it shuts off when the voltage gets too low, does that sounds right? I haven't tested this yet but just learned that you can display the voltage on the Lowrance FF.

Anyone have this problem with either the FF or the Nocqua battery? From my understanding and based on conversations with others, that battery should be able to power the FF for a solid day.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
  • PRO Kayak Fishing - "We know kayak fishing!"
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
Re: Lowrance Hook 5 turning off unexpectedly
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 08:15 AM »
I wouldn't think you would be getting voltage drops from a Nocqua 10 ah after only 1-3 hours. But, there may be something else going on. I would send an email to both Lowrance and Nocqua explaining the issue and see what they say. Please let us know what they say, I'd be interested to know.

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff 
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Radar 135 Pedal Drive
Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Shop local and help support the businesses that support you all year long.

Offline GoBruins

• Cabazon
  • Outdoors > Indoors
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 01:55 PM »
I'd agree. 10AH should last you an entire day, if not two.

The first thing you should check is the battery voltage when it quits. I would imagine it would have to be in the low 11's for the Lowrance to quit. Cheap Voltmeters are a dime a dozen anywhere.

If it still has good juice, I'd start checking the connections for corrosion, etc.

If the Lowrance quits randomly, I'd suspect connections. If it consistently quits after 2-3 hours, I'd suspect battery. Do you have a good trickle charger?

CamoAndAmmo .at. Outlook.com

Offline GoBruins

• Cabazon
  • Outdoors > Indoors
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 01:59 PM »
Addendum: I coat all my connections with dielectric grease. It helps in keeping corrosion at bay.
CamoAndAmmo .at. Outlook.com

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • Tight Lines
    • CCKF
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 02:15 PM »
my chirp did that and had to get it replaced but I started with changing out the battery for a new one, which with the battery you have I do not think the issue lies there but maybe.

I would shoot Lowrance an email asking about it. Does the unit feel really HOT to the touch.

Maybe look into running new electrical wires as well.
FINS Quality Braided Lines Pro-Staff
Shark Shield Pro-Staff
Pro-Cure Pro-Staff
Pacific Lures Pro Staff
Big Hammer VIP
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline adamr

• Lizardfish
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 09:13 AM »
Thanks for all of the input. Sorry for not responding right away, i thought I had my email notifications set on so I thought no one had responded.

Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to dive into it further, but I intend to this weekend. I will run it and check battery voltage when the FF shuts off. I will also check the connections and consider rewiring it if there's any signs of corrosion.

One thing that I am recalling now is that when I wired the battery I forgot to incorporate the surge protector (at least i think thats what it is, attached is an image of the part I'm taking about) that comes with the FF....could this be the issue?

Offline H2joe

• Surf Perch
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 09:56 AM »
I have two Lowrance 4s (elite and mark).  One will work without that in-line fuse you are showing, the other will not.  Both will work with the in-line fuse and it is a good idea to use it because you will only need to replace a fuse (not head unit) if you have a surge or electrical problem.

Offline adamr

• Lizardfish
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 10:28 AM »
Hm, thats interesting. The first 4 or 5 times i used it (without the in-line fuse) it ran all day, no problem. So I suspected that it was not the cause. If I rewire it though, which I may have to do, I will be sure to include it.