Author Topic: Seigler SGN  (Read 345 times)

Offline Big_Mac

• Catfish
  • CCKF Lifestyle
Seigler SGN
« on: December 16, 2017, 04:45 PM »
So.... Last month was my birthday and my wife actually listened to me throughout the following year about my desire to have a Seigler SGN. I had heard nothing but positive reviews emphasizing their fit and finish along with their fish-ability. I you aren't familiar with their specs for the reel....here ya go...

Body Material: Aluminum
Max Drag (lbs): 30
Line Capacity Braid (yds/lb): 350/30
Weight (oz): 12.0
Bearings: 6
Gear Ratio: 6.0:1
Retrieve: Right
Line Retrieve Per Crank (in): 38"
Spool Material: Aluminum
Handle Shape: Aluminum ball handle

And here is a little write up from J and H:

Product Description
Anglers have been asking for the Seigler SGN Lever Drag Reels for a long time! The original SG is a compact, powerful workhorse but with the universal adoption of braided fishing lines, reels are getting smaller and smaller while maintaining the same amount of power. The SGN is a great example of this. It features a narrow frame and weighs in at just 11 ozs yet puts out 30 lbs of drag at max. The aluminum frame is strong so you don't have to worry about flex. It features six ball bearings, a 6:1 gear ratio and holds 350 yards of 30 lb braid. Seigler SGN Lever Drag Reels are perfect for inshore and nearshore fishing. It can easily handle big striped bass, bluefish, blackfish and even small tuna!

If you haven't heard of Seigler Reels before, it might be because you know them as Truth Reels or Release Reels. Wes and his team build great fishing reels that are 100% made in the USA! They come with a lifetime warranty, which is something no other manufacturer does. If you want to use the future of fishing today, get yourself a Seigler SGN Lever Drag Reel. It's awesome!

Seigler SGN Lever Drag Reels are available in three great color combinations. All come with a smoke body and you can choose from blue, silver and red accents. Choose from right and left handed models. All models come with a clamp set and a clicker.

Anyways.... I received the reel a couple of weeks after the initial purchase. It came in a cool thick canvas bag with the reels serial number written on it. The bag also has a cool thick rope that has had the end dipped in rubber to prevent the rope from coming undone. (it's the little things...) Out of the bag the reel feels pretty stiff with the first hundred or so turns. The free spool lasted approximately 10 seconds. The reel is made with ABEC 5 class ceramic and stainless steel bearings. You can really feel the quality and workmanship put into this reel.

I was able to take it fishing last week. I spooled it with some 50# Power Pro. For now I have it attached to a Shimano Trevala jigging rod TVC66M. I'm looking into buying a 8' Phenix Abyss in the near future. The reel was great. I hooked into a couple of decent fish and the drag was nice and smooth. The reel was also a perfect fit in my hand while also being very well balanced, not to mention light weight. Casting is something that I'm sure would be phenomenal in the right hands. I'm working on it. Also casting from a a kayak is sort of a challenge for me.

Now some of the bad... After my fishing trip, I cleaned and double checked the drag. I remembered it was a little lose for my liking so I wanted to tighten it a little. While adjusting the drag I noticed a little ping sound from inside the reel. After that my reel wouldn't free spool or provide any drag unless tightened all the way down. Now before you all come to the conclusion of me not having my drag in free spool during the drag adjustment....let me put you mind sort of at ease. I have dealt with a lever drag before. It was a long time ago....but I did remember something about needing to have your lever in the free spool position. I ended up watching a quick you-tube video on the topic before I even touched the reel to refresh my memory. I am not saying there is absolutely no way I didn't make a mistake. I'm just saying it's highly improbable.

I would have opened the reel and found what was wrong with it.....and possibly even fixed it. But I didn't want Seigler thinking that I did something to the internals. They also don't provide a parts list for any of their reels....or even an exploded view. I'm used to Penn or even old Newell reels having everything I need available to me within a few keystrokes.

I have emailed Seigler a few times in the past few days. I'm still waiting on a response. I went on their website to find that they do have a lifetime warranty. The only thing is you need to pay them a $25 processing fee. I don't have an issue with that....as long as they refund the money in the event of them being at fault for the bad reel. The thing that was a little annoying was the extra $10 I had to pay up front for the return postage.

I will update this post after Seigler responds to my email and fixes or replaces my reel. I'm shipping it out on Monday. Wish me luck.

I love fishing.  You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end.  Your imagination is under there.  ~Robert Altman

Offline MrPukaShell

• Surf Perch
Re: Seigler SGN
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 06:57 AM »
Update?
If can, can.  If no can, no can.

Offline Big_Mac

• Catfish
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 09:24 AM »
I got a reply to my email a few days ago. Gil from Seigler apologized for not getting right back to me. Apparently he had a huge order for service on 15 reels that needed to be taken care of ASAP. He said that he will take a look at the reel and refund my money of it is found to be Seigler's fault. So...for now, I'm just waiting on another email to see what the damages will be....or the lack thereof.
I love fishing.  You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end.  Your imagination is under there.  ~Robert Altman

Offline Sin Coast

• Canary
  • 64lbs of butt!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 02:33 PM »
I was just looking at one of these reels!! Thanks for the honest straight-forward review & info. Any updates on the status of your reel?

Offline Big_Mac

• Catfish
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 08:56 PM »
Ok....I got the reel back. It was a surprise though. Mr. Gill from Seigler had sent me an email stating that he would personally email me as to when they receive the reel and what exactly is wrong with the reel. Essentially he was going to let me know everything as it happened. He also stated that my money would be refunded in the event that there was some sort of defect in the reel. I wrote Mr Gill back after I received the reel. I should also note that there was nothing accompanying the reel in the box. No receipt....and nothing explaining what they did. My letter back to Seigler basically asked them what the issue was. I also asked it I would be getting my money back. I let a few days pass while I waited for a response. I didn't get one, so I just sent another asking if they read my original email. The next day I received an apology letter from Mr Gill. He basically said that they were busy in the shop and that he had someone else work on my reel due to his busy schedule. There was still no explanation as to why my reel failed. He did mention that I would be receiving a refund of my money in the form of a check. That was 2 weeks ago.....still no check. So, it's hard for me to form an opinion about this reel based on my limited use of the reel. Although, I can say without a doubt that their customer service has room for improvement. Maybe it had something to do with the holidays. Maybe I expect too much. I can say that I was happy to receive my reel within 2 weeks. Not bad considering it was over the holidays. It looks like they also set the drag....which is nice. I just wish I knew exactly what they did to fix it. I also would like to have a parts list. One doesn't exist yet for this reel. Hope this helps for anyone trying to decide. Let me know if you all have any questions.