Author Topic: new to kayak fishing  (Read 2314 times)

Offline riddleone

• Anchovy
new to kayak fishing
« on: January 23, 2011, 06:04 PM »
O.K. just got my kayak this past week it is a wilderness ride 13.5 feet long. Now I want to go ocean fishing I will be fishing in the Morro Bay South Central Unit. I have read the ocean fishing regulations and understand that recreation ground fish is closed until May 1st. So if I go out of Port San Luis I can fish for Sanddab and other flatfish (what are other flatfish?). I see that striped bass is open are there any striped bass in PSL? Also California Halibut is open are there any in PSL? Any help is very welcomed.     

Offline JK

• Administrator
  • Steelhead
  • Go Get 'Em
    • CCKF
Re: new to kayak fishing
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 07:47 PM »
Hi and welcome to the site.

You may find a some sand dabs around PSL - Halis are in greater abundance starting in the later summer months.  Stripers are rare catches but its been done.  

Come out to some of the tourneys and you will quickly become familiar with some of the areas we have the best luck,  This time of year is typically slow for getting out on the yaks due to conditions.  This would be a great time to get out in the back bay and get used to your new yak and how you want to modify it for your needs - add fishfinder etc.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:49 PM by JK »
Old Town Predator PDL
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3
@JK_CCKF
Team Central Coast Kayak Fishing

Offline ccmeddie

• Sculpin
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 07:56 PM »
O.K. just got my kayak this past week it is a wilderness ride 13.5 feet long. Now I want to go ocean fishing I will be fishing in the Morro Bay South Central Unit. I have read the ocean fishing regulations and understand that recreation ground fish is closed until May 1st. So if I go out of Port San Luis I can fish for Sanddab and other flatfish (what are other flatfish?). I see that striped bass is open are there any striped bass in PSL? Also California Halibut is open are there any in PSL? Any help is very welcomed.     

Wecolme to the site, when you get a chance post a picture of your (Ride)   in  the Rigged kayak section.

Happy Yaking

Eddie
Vintage Wilderness System Tarpon 16ft.
Ocean Scupper Pro 14'9"
Ocean Scupper Classic 14'2"
Vintage Wilderness System The Ride 13'6"
Malibu Pro Tandem 2 13'
Ocean Scrambler 11'2"

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:26 PM »
Welcome and as for fishing the dabs our out there morro bay is probably alot closer paddle to areas with good amounts. Hali our year round feeders but our deep in the winter 150-300ft of water and takes alot of work to find them. If we get a salmon season they usually start picking up Hali right then and then by June they our around in the shallows. Last year I think more guys were catching Hali while trolling for Salmon then salmon not a bad alternative. It's getting a line down there and finding the fish.

You may want to start out in fresh water in a controlled environment even more then the back bay practicing self rescue is really important.
We will be having a tournament/fishing/safety refresher in March and then again in April.

Welcome to the site. Hope to see you on the water in the near future.
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2