Author Topic: My experience at SD7  (Read 238 times)

Offline MrPukaShell

• White Bass
My experience at SD7
« on: September 17, 2018, 12:55 PM »
First off, let me say thank you to Ryan and Mary for another excellent event.  The morning started off like any other launch at Leffingwell.  I started the morning with a couple of nice reds and a huge Jonny Bass.  At that point I knew I had the rockfish covered.  Looking around and more casting, I felt a tug on the line and landed a 24 inch Halibut.  At this point I get a little excited but the fog had rolled in and I went in a little closer to shore.  No cabbies and the fog cleared so I went back out to the deeper water in search of some Lings.  After we were out there a little while the wind shifted and started to blow.  It was amazing how fast the wind started to pick up.  At that point, I decided to head for shore.  I had kept the two biggest rockfish and the halibut on stringer but had the remainder of a limit of rockfish in the well in front of the drive.  Tired of dragging the fish around I put all of the fish on the stringer and called my buddy over to flip them in my crate so I wasn't dragging anything.  Now things start getting interesting.  I noticed that after about 15 minutes the boat was getting unstable and opened the middle hatch, I was about 1/2 full of water, shit.  By this time I was crawling and could barley stay balanced, even switched from the drive to the paddle for balance.  I called out for my buddies, but they did not hear me.  It's not uncommon for me to lag a little behind.  I was about 3/4 of a mile from shore when I went over.  I then flipped it back over, minus two poles and a gaff.  As luck would have it, another contestant was right there to aid me.  I asked him if he had a pump and he said yeah but it's electric and it's plumbed to his Hobie.  I then asked if he could give a tow and he replied "no problem."  He had some rope and I tied up the kayak to his.  I held on to the back of my kayak as he headed for shore.  Another contestant came by to assist and I went to his kayak for a bit.  Then my buddy came back to help and I grabbed onto his kayak.  We all made it back to shore unscathed.  I get back to the beach with about 20 or so bystanders watching the event unfold.  There were guys there with towels and one of the space blankets to offer due to the 58 degree water.  But to tell the truth, I was not cold, could have been due to kicking and swimming the whole way or being a little pumped up.  I emailed Hobie to see what they have to say and am still waiting.  This morning I filled the kayak with water to see where the leak is.  Scuppers, good to go, so kept looking as it started to fill I noticed water coming around the steering guide wires but nothing substantial.  As it filled, a little more water was pouring out of the rear hatch seal.  I then emptied the kayak and dried out the inside.  Next, I got the hose and ran water over the rear hatch and opened the front hatch.  As expected, water started pooling in the front of the boat (did this on the driveway so there was a little incline). I was going to do a little more investigating, but I believe I have found the problem.  Once the boat got a little water in it and putting the fish in the back of the boat, compounded the problem.  I think it lowered the boat rear end putting the rear hatch under water and with the leak, it was just a matter of time before I ended up in the drink. 

What did I learn on this adventure?  Keep your kayak in great shape.  If you ever see water in your boat at the end of the day, find out why.  Leash everything, and I do mean everything.  Dress like you are going for a swim.  Wet suit or something similar, I don't think waders would have been something to have been in.  Carry a manual bilge pump.  Most of all, what I learned was the kayak community is completely awesome.  Not one person passed me by without saying something or words of encouragement. 

Lastly, I want to thank Ely Campos for saving my ass. If it were not for you, I am not sure what I would have done or how this would have ended.  To the guy in the Hobie kayak that assisted for a while, thank you. Sorry I did not get your name.  To Serop Karchikyan for coming back out after getting on the beach and towing me back in.  To the host of bystanders on the beach that were there to make sure everything turned out safely.  To everyone back at tournament headquarters who had the same words of encouragement. 

Tight lines and stay dry,

Robert
MrPukaShell

If can, can.  If no can, no can.

Offline MustacheMike91

• Lizardfish
  • CCKF Lifestyle
Re: My experience at SD7
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 01:39 PM »
Wow, a story for many slamdowns to come! And a great lesson for all, especially newer guys like myself. Glad to hear you had plenty of help, stories like this can't speak enough to the buddy system.
The kayak community is exactly as you put it, "completely awesome". Thanks for sharing your experience.

Offline Str8shooter

• Surf Perch
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 06:40 PM »
Absolutely, a great testament on things to consider out there. Sure happy it turned out well!!! I am hopeful you had a PFD on. After rolling my PA14 a couple years ago I have set up a pull rope and handle to help me right the yak and also installed a small stainless steel telescoping three rung ladder attached at the back of the boat to help me get back on board. Had a rope ladder back there but it was useless. During the rollover water poured in from the large front hatch, so I now have a second gasket around the lid to minimize water coming in. My bilge pump is always attached to the H-rail for easy access. Again, so happy there was a happy ending.  Thanks for sharing and really nice of you to share your raffle prize with Mr. Campos!  Way to go.

2016 Hobie PA14

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Robert, Really glad the outcome was good for this. Only thing I can add is maybe next time for everyone involved to contact 911 as soon as possible. I received a phone call when you were still about 200 yards offshore. Second thought that should have been my initial response to that phone call. Better to be safe than sorry and at least get that ball rolling and cambria rescue team en route to assist as much as needed. The outcome of this could have been much worse.

Thank you to everyone that was involved the kayak fishing community is awesome.
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline Big_Mac

• Vermillion
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 08:11 PM »
I'm glad you are okay man! What a story to tell. I'm getting a pump now.
I love fishing.  You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end.  Your imagination is under there.  ~Robert Altman

Offline PacificViking

• Striper
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 07:39 PM »
Thatís been a reacurring issue is itís the round hatches on hoboes. If you notice they no longer have any on the 2019 outback. One of the reasons I fish a Viking, the only way Iím sinking is if I get hit by the taxman. Instead of leashing my rods I duct tape part of a pool noodle around it so it floats. If I go over I donít want to get tangled up in leashes. Glad you made it out safe! Live to fish another day!