Author Topic: More changes to Groundfish Regulations 2019  (Read 1789 times)

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
More changes to Groundfish Regulations 2019
« on: January 05, 2019, 12:21 PM »
Changes to the regulations again.

Lingcod limit 1
Cabezon limit 3 part of your 10 fish RCG.
Rockfish limit 10

Obviously still have 3 months till our season opens but applicable even if your targeting these guys from shore.

This fishery is currently closed for boat-based angling.

The recreational fishery for lingcod (Ophiodon elongatus) is open year-round to divers and shore-based anglers. This fishery is closed to boat-based anglers from January 1, 2019 through March 31, 2019. This species may only be taken or possessed in waters less than 300 feet (50 fathoms) deep. The daily bag and possession limit is 1 fish, with a minimum size limit of 22 inches total length.

The recreational fishery for rockfish (Sebastes sp.) is open year-round to divers and shore-based anglers. The fishery is closed to boat-based anglers from January 1, 2019 through March 31, 2019. These species may only be taken or possessed in waters less than 300 feet (50 fathoms) deep. The daily bag and possession limit is 10 fish in combination of all species within the RCG Complex (includes all species of Rockfish, Cabezon and Greenlings) per person, with a sub-limit on black rockfish (3 per person) and canary rockfish (2 per person), also included in the 10 fish RCG Complex aggregate limit. Yelloweye rockfish, link opens in new windowbronzespotted rockfish, and cowcod may not be retained (bag limit: zero).

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Ocean/Regulations/Fishing-Map/Central#lingcod

1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
Re: More changes to Groundfish Regulations 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 10:30 PM »
1 ling and 3 cabbies  still not bad, but wondering why the increased the cabezon

PRO Kayak Fishing

Wilderness Systems Pro Staff       Wildy Thresher 140
                                                            Wildy Radar 135
ProKayakFishing.com fishing team
ACA Member

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 08:36 AM »
1 ling and 3 cabbies  still not bad, but wondering why the increased the cabezon

common core math is my guess but who knows.

Offline CaboBob (aka squawfish)

• Lingcod
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 07:20 AM »
I struggle to catch even 1 cabezon.
Orange Hobie Outback

Offline Sin Coast

• Lingcod
  • 64lbs of butt!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 10:54 AM »
I thought it said we can now keep 10 cabezon within our limit of 10 RCG fish. And 3 blacks & 2 canaries.

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 11:05 AM »
I thought it said we can now keep 10 cabezon within our limit of 10 RCG fish. And 3 blacks & 2 canaries.

Still shows 3, if you can find a whole with 10 legals in a day your on fire. lol

Offline H2joe

• Tree Rockfish
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 09:43 PM »
How do the decision makers go from 2 to 3 to 1 Ling in just a couple of years? 

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 09:14 AM »
How do the decision makers go from 2 to 3 to 1 Ling in just a couple of years? 

Common core math...

Honestly seems very screwy someone messed up. I would like to see a size increase back to at least 24 if not 26.

Heck would love to see a reasonable max length.

Offline H2joe

• Tree Rockfish
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 01:03 PM »
When I get some time I will do the homework and find the right people but, for now, I would be content if someone at State level explained the decision and confirmed it was data-driven.  I imagine this decision has huge impact on people for a variety of reasons.  I agree with extending the minimum length; to cut the daily bag in half is excessive.  We will probably never see a 2 Ling limit again.  Maybe there will be a new tax or tag that allows it, but I have doubt.  Next move will be to limit fisherman to one hook. Haven't checked yet but I'd bet the price of the 2019 fishing license increased.  Get less and pay more.  This is becoming too common.  I love it here in CA but it is just too hard to absorb all the BS.

Screw the tax paying people trying to take advantage of one of the few affordable hobbies that exist for Californians living along the coast or willing to travel, but keep allowing foreign owned oil companies like BP to ruin oceans. 

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 02:14 PM »
Yeah agree saw something about it being data driven. It is only for part of the state. Honestly I believe it will be back at 2 within a couple years. Heck I would have said we would not have seen canaries get added and they are getting added to the list more and more.