Author Topic: New, need some kayak advice  (Read 6374 times)

Offline atj

• Seagull
New, need some kayak advice
« on: December 14, 2012, 11:26 PM »
Hello Folks I dig your forum.

I'm moving from the Oregon central coast to the California central coast this spring.  I'm a fisherman not a kayaker but I've always wanted a kayak and it looks like kayak fishing is the most fun way to fish down there.  I'll be moving to the Morro Bay area.  I'm looking at buying an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 or 15.  I'm leaning toward the 15 but was looking for advice. I'm mostly concerned about which would be easier to launch through the surf.  I'd only use the kayak on the ocean.  I'm 5' 9", 165 lbs and am in good shape. 

Any advice about getting started in kayak fishing would be appreciated.

Thanks,

atj

Offline Impractical Fishermen

• Dan
  • Halibut
  • A.D.I.D.A.K.F.
    • The Impractical Fishermen
Re: New, need some kayak advice
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 07:37 AM »
Launching is more about timing and hopping on the boat quickly. I love my 13, I think it i more a matter of preference and practice. Either way you go, good luck.
Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler 13
Mad River 13 foot Canoe

http://theimpracticalfishermen.com/
http://theimpracticalfishermen/tumblr.com/

Lucid Fishing, Product tester

Offline MikeinFresno

• Catfish
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 09:54 AM »
I just got a T13. Have never been in the ocean with a yak. BUT, I can say that having come from a lighter 12' to the heavier 13' there is a noticeable difference in the way it paddles, the effort taken to make it go, etc. It also way more stable due to this. So, Im thinking that it comes down to generally- longer is heavier and more stable, shorter=lighter and easier to paddle. My mind tells me to get the longer one for ocean only as the stability and not getting pitched off a mile out is more important.

Offline Albondiga

• Steelhead
    • My Youtube Video Channel
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 10:24 AM »
I have always had way more problems coming back in. Launching typically is not too bad.

I would recommend, whatever you end up getting, to take it to the beach without fishing poles or anything. Dress to swim (wetsuit?) and take it out through the surf, come back in, take it out again, etc until you are tired.

Also practice getting in and out of the boat out where you can't touch bottom. Flip it upside down and practice righting it and getting in.

I am sure Ryan can add a few things to the list of skills to practice and safety gear to have with you. Have you read his account of the Catalina trip where he needed to use a bilge pump?

• Dan
  • Halibut
  • A.D.I.D.A.K.F.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 12:45 PM »
I have always had way more problems coming back in. Launching typically is not too bad.

I am the exact opposite, but landing does cause me anxiety.

A big car wash sponge can bail out a hull pretty quick and it is cheap.
Mad River 13 foot Canoe

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
  • PRO Kayak Fishing - "We know kayak fishing!"
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 02:44 PM »
the big sponge is a great idea!  hadn't thought of that, with a sit on top its not usually that much water....Thanks for the tip!

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff 
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Radar 135 Pedal Drive
Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Shop local and help support the businesses that support you all year long.

Offline atj

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 03:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I'll have a bilge pump and marine radio.  I was also planning on a few surf launching/landing training sessions, it sounds like fun.

I kind of figured the 15 would be better on the ocean than the 13 but I was wondering if it might also be harder to launch than the 13.  Anyone on here have experience launching an OK Trident 15 through the surf?

Thanks again.

• Dan
  • Halibut
  • A.D.I.D.A.K.F.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 04:41 PM »
the big sponge is a great idea!  hadn't thought of that, with a sit on top its not usually that much water....Thanks for the tip!

If your hatches are not strapped down tight on a surf launch you will find pleanty of water inside. Scupper carts will add a little water to your trip,  if you let them.
Mad River 13 foot Canoe

Offline SeaWeed

• Go Seahawks
  • Thresher Shark
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 07:33 PM »
the way I under stand it the longer the yak the faaster it is after you get it started. But weight to beach and bulkiness can be a pain. I have a prowler 15. And a Swing that is about 13. I think the prowler is a little faster.   
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
Perception Swing, Prowler 15, Hobie Outback. Is Three Enough?

Offline Iascaire

• Cabazon
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 08:21 PM »
I think I would go for the larger one myself. I recently upgraded my kayak from a cobra navigator to a cobra fish n dive and am really pleased. The larger kayaks feel significantly more comfortable for long periods of time, also they're way more stable. Nothing like having both legs off the same side of a kayak with no fear of tipping.

I'm not certain about the specs about the ocean kayaks so I can't really pass too much judgement on them. One of my fishing buddies uses an OK and he really likes it, it's faster than my fish and dive (not that that's saying anything). I think his is the 15' version? Maybe he'll see this post. I'd also have to agree with Albondiga, launching hasn't really been a problem for me either. It's the landing that always got me.