Author Topic: Anyone ever try the GoPro knock-offs?  (Read 5092 times)

Offline Big_Mac

• Striper
  • CCKF Lifestyle
Anyone ever try the GoPro knock-offs?
« on: November 15, 2016, 08:45 AM »
Yep....It's me again. I have another question for y'all.

I'm not made of money.... so I've been checking out the cheap GoPro knock-offs. Instead of $500+ you can snatch one up for under $200 or even $100. I'm thinking HD is HD. I'm also thinking they are cheaper to replace. That might be important considering out wet / rough and tumble sport.

I have also been checking out CL for some cheap used Hero 3s and 4s.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I love fishing.  You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end.  Your imagination is under there.  ~Robert Altman

Offline Slackline

• White Bass
  • Saltwater fishing is fun!!
Re: Anyone ever try the GoPro knock-offs?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 10:27 PM »
Every time I have tried to do that I have been sorry. Then had to go buy the real one anyway.

Maybe someone else has a different experience.

I have a GoPro and a garmin virb. Both work well with different target audience. GoPro is most popular.

Rob
2- Lifetime Angler 10' kayaks
2017 Hobie Outback

Offline MrBrownstone

• Surf Perch
  • Save the Bread Save the Whales
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 10:48 PM »
Im not made of money either.  I wanted to get a gopro but obviously youve seen how much they go for.

I did a little review searching and found a pretty good equivalent for a great price.  Got it off amazon and i call it a Nopro since its definitely a knock off but it records in great quality and takes good pictures as well.  Waterproof and comes with a few mounts that have come in handy for me.  I made a selfie stick from a broom handle and mounted it on the end so theres an idea.

Heres the link if youd like to see: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01464D2P0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps!

Offline Floyd

• Bluegill
  • Eat, sleep, fish, hunt
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 05:28 AM »
My buddy uses one called "geekpro" and works well. Waterproof and has a ton of accessories available  for it. Thinkbhe found it on amazon for 60 or 70 bucks

Offline LBSteve

• Gopher
  • Practice Catch and Release
    • My knives
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 06:22 PM »
I bought this one, https://www.amazon.com/Aokon-Waterproof-SJ7000-Motorcycle-Underwater/dp/B01E7JHUMA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479435621&sr=8-1&keywords=white+SJ7000 . I used it 3 times and it quit.... The seller gave me a new on and its working like a charm.
I only want to be the man my dog thinks I am.

Offline surfbrewer

• Halibut
  • PRO Kayak Fishing - "We know kayak fishing!"
    • PRO Kayak Fishing
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 05:37 PM »
I used one for a while with mixed results. Worked well sometimes, other times I lost everything. I have since switched to the Garmin Virb cameras. I like them a lot.

We have a couple of factory refurbished Virb's at the shop for sale right now. $150, 1080p, wifi, app for phone, fully waterproof and submersible.

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff 
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Felton Lures Pro Staff

Wildy Radar 135 Pedal Drive
Wildy Tarpon 130X
Wildy Thresher 140

Co-Owner
PRO Kayak Fishing
Central Coast Kayaks

Shop local and help support the businesses that support you all year long.

Offline PJ

• Striper
  • Practice Catch and Release
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 01:03 PM »
I haven't.  I bet there are some lower end GoPro's that can be had cheaply.  And I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one on ebay.  I've had 3 brand new & haven't had a problem with any of them - except for the remote terminals rusting out.
Personal Best 8'+ Thresher on 20lb Mono:)