Author Topic: Kayak Clothing  (Read 423 times)

Offline rackhenry@gmail.com

• Seagull
  • CCKF Lifestyle
Kayak Clothing
« on: August 09, 2019, 06:32 AM »
Hi All,

Im new to kayak fishing and thinking of heading up to Leffingwell to try some ling cod fishing. What specific type of clothing do I need. Is there waders, or special jackets I need to wear? I deliver water is mid 50 but air temp should be in 60-70 I guess. Thanks

Offline PacificViking

• Striper
Re: Kayak Clothing
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 12:35 PM »
This is mostly based on personal choice based on your personal experience with exposure to cold elements. If you ended up in the ocean some people could develop hypothermia fairly quickly in that water temp. the other thing to consider is how wet will you get in you're kayak. for example in a hobie with a high seat most people stat fairly dry (as long as they don't eat crap for the launch) where as kayaks that sit lower in the water and don't have raised seats provided a wetter ride. The safest thing to wear would probably be a wet suit and pfd (always wear a pfd). I personally wear dry bibs, a long sleave t shirt and a splash jacket  with my pfd and if its really cold a multi layer winter jacket. But it is also possible to wear swim trunks and t shirt if its nice out.

Offline RHYAK

• Kayak Safety 1st
  • Administrator
  • White Seabass
  • S.K.
    • CCKF
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 01:10 PM »
Loaded question that seems so damn simple right.

Options like Jesse said probably the most reliable for here on the Central Coast would be a farmer john wetsuit with a paddling jacket to keep you dry up top. Like he said a PFD is a must, wear it don't just have it on the kayak.

Other options include a full drysuit, waders with a belt, paddling pants, shorts.

It really depends on the conditions you're paddling out in and your experience level on the water. I would also recommend making sure your able to get back onto your kayak if you were to fall off its gonna be what makes or breaks the situation.

Hopefully those answers helped.
1st place 2015 Angler of the Year
1st place Estero Bay Challenge 2

Offline Taed

• Crappie
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 07:33 PM »
I have friends that wear full wet suit and one wears just a bathing suit and a long sleeve quick dry shirt ??
OK Laugh but I do know people I like to call friends
Safety means sun protection hat sunglasses long-sleeve shirt ++. Dress in layers, have water have fun.
Prowler 13
Taed's Orthotics & Prosthetics

Offline rackhenry@gmail.com

• Seagull
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Thank you all for the input! :)

Offline Dogpound

• Administrator
  • Halibut
  • CCKF4L
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 04:45 PM »
Definitely a lot of ways you can go.  Hypothermia can set in fairly quickly in 56 degree water, and even 5 minutes can start to zap your energy and make it hard to get back in the kayak if your not good or have practiced with self rescue.  One thing I have generally always chosen to do is dress for immersion in the waters you are paddling in.  I think paddle pants and a dry top are probably the minimum for leff, but you gotta do what is comfortable for you.  Jeans and cotton clothing is not recommended at all imho.

PRO Kayak Fishing

Wilderness Systems Pro Staff       Wildy Thresher 140
                                                            Wildy Radar 135
ProKayakFishing.com fishing team
ACA Member

Offline Taed

• Crappie
  • CCKF Lifestyle
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 11:11 PM »
Listen to Dogpound  plan to go swimming...   
 I go swimming way to often and it is usually very stressful, cold, unexpected, hazardous conditions. big waves. I try to be prepared and I enjoy (will continue) going out. few things have the balance of adventure, challenge, rewards, excitement, great memory's .  as being in a kayak fishing with friends

That is why I was looking for a jacket that I can bring after getting wet and works when wet. I thank I found one, a neoprene divers boat jacket from Scubapro? but out of my $ at this time.
Prowler 13
Taed's Orthotics & Prosthetics